Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums

Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums (http://www.videokarma.org/index.php)
-   Early Color Television (http://www.videokarma.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Question about the Pair of CT-100's at ETM Auction (http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=270415)

fixmeplease 05-05-2018 04:27 PM

Question about the Pair of CT-100's at ETM Auction

Maybe later when some of the lucky auction goers get home and settled they can answer my question, which is:

I watched the youtube video of the auction and the CT-100 with poor CRT sold for $500 and the one with the good for 4K. Were there reasons other than the CRT's why the one sold so much higher? Im just trying to get a grip on the value of these. Thanks!

Electronic M 05-05-2018 05:55 PM

The bad one went first. Everyone one was trying to save all their money for the good one and let it slip through the cracks in to my hands. :D :banana::banana::banana:

If the order had been reversed the bad one would have gone much higher as a consolation prize to second or third runner up to the good one.

Unrestored examples with down to air CRTs have gone for twice what I just paid for a restored set that has a dead green gun, but good red and blue guns.... Every one there was telling me that I stole it/got the best deal of the auction.:thmbsp:

A happy camper I be today.:banana:

jr_tech 05-05-2018 06:45 PM

Congratulations! :thmbsp:

Out of curiosity, how dead is the green gun? Possible rejuvenation? :scratch2:

jr

Electronic M 05-05-2018 07:09 PM

I didn't put a tester on it and took their word and demonstration of the working chassis driving the tube with purity misadjusted as proof their test was as described.

I'm en route home so will not have chance to confirm the test on my tester till tomorrow at earliest.

fixmeplease 05-05-2018 07:22 PM

Thanks! Congrats! I thought it went cheap too but I know little about them. Were the cabinets and chassis comparable condition wise? Amazing the price difference between the two. The video was at quite a distance so hard to tell much about them.

I hope that all these dead CT-100 CRT's everywhere can be rebuilt at some point.

bgadow 05-05-2018 09:17 PM

I would call that well-bought! For that price I think I could get use to the color being a little off.

SpaceAge 05-05-2018 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fixmeplease (Post 3199075)
Thanks! Congrats! I thought it went cheap too but I know little about them. Were the cabinets and chassis comparable condition wise? Amazing the price difference between the two. The video was at quite a distance so hard to tell much about them.

I hope that all these dead CT-100 CRT's everywhere can be rebuilt at some point.

I didn't attend but looking at the pictures online, IMO the one with the bad CRT has the better cabinet.

http://www.earlytelevision.org/conve...uction_tv.html

Electronic M 05-05-2018 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpaceAge (Post 3199083)
I didn't attend but looking at the pictures online, IMO the one with the bad CRT has the better cabinet.

http://www.earlytelevision.org/conve...uction_tv.html

Exactly, and by a good margin. The top of mine looks to have been refinished, and the only noticeable finish issue is the front feet. Mine also has the restored chassis* the other set had an unrestored chassis.

*They put it into both sets to prove both CRTs would show a raster. They also either never had or never reinstalled the chassis bolts...I got it into the Burban face down then noticed that...When I lifted the back to try to get the holes to line up with some improvised chassis bolts the chassis slid back and nearly brained the CRT...Scarred me real bad.

init4fun 05-06-2018 01:26 PM

:) Tom , SUPER congratulations on getting that TV ! I don't know if it's your first CT100 or not , but I couldn't think of a more deserving collector of old TV's to get it than you . I look forward to your photos of it when you get it home and get into it .

Electronic M 05-06-2018 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by init4fun (Post 3199096)
:) Tom , SUPER congratulations on getting that TV ! I don't know if it's your first CT100 or not , but I couldn't think of a more deserving collector of old TV's to get it than you . I look forward to your photos of it when you get it home and get into it .

Thanks. It is the first CT-100 I've owned, but not my first CTC-2 based set. It will go well with its cousin, my 21CT55 (CTC-2B).

I've been home since late last night...Unloading is going to be 'fun'. I've gotten all but the 2 sets (CT-100 and top secret project 'M') that weigh at least as much as I do out. The CT-100 required 4 people to get it in my truck, I don't think I'll have 4 people to help me get it out... Project 'M' at least is designed, and positioned such that it can be easily disassembled to make it lighter, but the CT-100 is laying face down on styrofoam so the roof of my suburban will prevent removing the chassis with it in the truck...

etype2 05-06-2018 05:52 PM

Congratulations.

(Wayne, will you be posting the convention photos?)

dtvmcdonald 05-06-2018 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Electronic M (Post 3199070)
T.... Every one there was telling me that I stole it/got the best deal of the auction.:thmbsp:

A happy camper I be today.:banana:

The best deal of the auction by far was the Baird! I, the buyer, Steve McVoy and several other owners of similar sets agree. Absolutely unbelievable deal.

Steve must have been crying into the paving fund.

old_tv_nut 05-06-2018 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by etype2 (Post 3199110)
Congratulations.

(Wayne, will you be posting the convention photos?)

I'm doing some editing now, will be posting later this week when I get back home.

Chip Chester 05-06-2018 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fixmeplease (Post 3199069)
(snip)... the CT-100 with poor CRT sold for $500 and the one with the good for 4K. (snip)

Who says the world's not ready for 4K TV?

First one of these I'd been to -- nice to see the rare sets in-person.

DavGoodlin 05-07-2018 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bgadow (Post 3199082)
I would call that well-bought! For that price I think I could get use to the color being a little off.

RCA CTC7-12's lost their red first, it was the red phosphor's inefficiency. The failure of a color in the 15GPs and 21AX's probably a cathode issue.

Congratulations Tom, does the HV work OK?

HV was always my fear of these early color beasts.