Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums

Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums (http://www.videokarma.org/index.php)
-   Early B&W and Projection TV (http://www.videokarma.org/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   we weep or we find a way... (http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=269161)

Dave A 06-14-2017 10:22 PM

we weep or we find a way...

to save it for someone that can use it. I could pick it up for pickup later in SE PA. Stromberg or Dumont?

https://philadelphia.craigslist.org/fuo/6153965891.html

http://www.videokarma.org/attachment...0&d=1497496932

WISCOJIM 06-15-2017 07:17 AM

"This posting has been deleted by its author."

Electronic M 06-15-2017 08:26 AM

Someone found a way or weeping is occurring...."the world may never know". :D

EdKozk2 06-15-2017 11:27 AM

Hope someone did find a way.

StellarTV 06-15-2017 11:25 PM

I know there's a lovely little catnip mouse hanging inside it right at this very moment.

Electronic M 06-16-2017 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StellarTV (Post 3185369)
I know there's a lovely little catnip mouse hanging inside it right at this very moment.

I've found a better way to use my TVs as cat beds: get a legged console (with 5-8" under clearance), make the electronics work, and keep the space underneath clear with only carpet below....Whenever you watch TV on it your cat will curl up underneath the warm TV to be both near you and comfortable (especially in winter). :D

Boobtubeman 06-16-2017 08:34 PM

Reminds me of the time we got our Wards tv back from the shop after a $60 repair and our cat would sleep on top for the tube warmth. Well, one day a "hairball incident" happened while the tv was on and needless to say we had to replace the tv..

SR

David Roper 06-17-2017 07:06 AM

It was a Stromberg Carlson. It was one of the later ones that was only a TV, not a combo. There were at least two distinctly different versions in that configuration.

Sandy G 06-17-2017 09:36 AM

My Gran had a double1st Cousin to this beastie. Hers was fire engine Red , & it looked like the makers had dribbled what looked like Elmer's Glue all over the front.I never completely made up my mind as to whether it was an innovative piece, or, just plain Fugly.. I would safely bet on where my granny & papaw got it-Rich's Dept store in Louisville, Ky.

StellarTV 06-17-2017 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Electronic M (Post 3185376)
I've found a better way to use my TVs as cat beds: get a legged console (with 5-8" under clearance), make the electronics work, and keep the space underneath clear with only carpet below....Whenever you watch TV on it your cat will curl up underneath the warm TV to be both near you and comfortable (especially in winter). :D

Now that's using your noggin! I used to know a man who kept a Ouija board on the bottom shelf of the rolling wire cart on top of which sat his late 80s era RCA XL100. Said that proximity was key to absorbing the extra energy the set put off. :D In retrospect, he ought to have tried it with an early color set. Make sure it's employing one of the unshielded HV regulator tubes to absorb some of those stray "X" rays. :thmbsp:

M3-SRT8 06-19-2017 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boobtubeman (Post 3185391)
Reminds me of the time we got our Wards tv back from the shop after a $60 repair and our cat would sleep on top for the tube warmth. Well, one day a "hairball incident" happened while the tv was on and needless to say we had to replace the tv..

SR

Did you have to replace the cat as well?:smoke:

Kamakiri 06-20-2017 06:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Electronic M (Post 3185376)

Damn, my cat does the same thing! :lmao:

Jeffhs 06-20-2017 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave A (Post 3185337)
Stromberg or Dumont?

My best guess is Stromberg-Carlson. The company sold these TVs in at least one other cabinet style (white, with gold-painted door pulls) besides the one shown in your post. My aunt had an SC console in the white console cabinet for many years, until she replaced it, IIRC, with a 1965 RCA Victor 17" metal-cabinet portable. The SC set, however, remained in her living room until the late '60s, when she moved across town.

Boobtubeman 06-20-2017 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M3-SRT8 (Post 3185570)
Did you have to replace the cat as well?:smoke:

hehehe nope, she lived to the ripe ole age of 14... :)

Got a 19 inch color to replace the 12 inch color...

Happy ending.. :D

SR