Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums

Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums (http://www.videokarma.org/index.php)
-   Recorded Video (http://www.videokarma.org/forumdisplay.php?f=173)
-   -   Wonderful VHS Collector! (http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=249106)

Dude111 10-19-2010 11:58 AM

This is my kind of guy :)

www.youtube.com/v/-z4iw8Ppo1o

I love my VHS player and am grateful I have as many movies IN ANALOGUE as i do :)

dieseljeep 10-21-2010 09:19 AM

Just picked up a Panasonic built Curtis Mathes mono VCR for the sum of $2.35 at a thrift shop. It was built in Jan. 1987. Clean and well cared for. Works fairly well. BTW, does any one remember how to change the time constant in horiz. AFC in the earlier tv sets to minimize "flag waving". Zenith sold a special 9-57 module for the sets that used it. They sold it as a VCR-57. It was a 9-90-02 sistered to a 9-57 empty board.

Eric H 10-24-2010 06:09 PM

Love that Moe Howard haircut!

If he's in Finland why are all the decks labeled in English?

Barry777 10-26-2010 07:54 AM

Flagging is also caused by improper back tension in the VCR. You might experiment with adjusting the tension, unless you have a torque meter tape and can check it. I would say that ANY VCR more than a few years old needs the back tension adjusted.

Phototone 11-29-2010 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric H (Post 2985554)

If he's in Finland why are all the decks labeled in English?

I believe most Japanese electronics are labeled in English for all export models, and domestic models too. I have a Japanese market only Laserdisc player..all labeled in English, but you can invoke Japanese on-screen displays from the remote.

Aussie Bloke 12-01-2010 03:00 PM

Goes to show that even your standard mass produced VHS machine can become a collectors item once being deemed obsolete with the introduction of DVD players/recorders. I see so many of these VCRs on the street so if he were over here during garbage season he would have a field day!!! I dig his collection, he has built up an excellent collection of these VHS machines.

I myself take preference these days to record everything in top notch quality on DVD recorders as picture quality comes first for me with archiving programs but I will still use an 80s National NV-180 portable VHS when doing remote shots with my vintage video cameras. I have to say it's amazing how long VHS has lasted on the market, been around since 1976 and you can still buy them to this very day!!!

That collector so reminds me of Dr Evil from Austin Powers with his accent and even looks a bit like him but with a Moe Howard bowl cut hairdo.

AUdubon5425 12-02-2010 12:24 AM

"Philips is bad...very bad...very bad."

Cracks me up...

dieseljeep 12-02-2010 06:32 PM

I wonder if those Philips VCRs are re-badged Funai's like the ones in the U.S.

Dude111 12-15-2010 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aussie Bloke
I have to say it's amazing how long VHS has lasted on the market, been around since 1976 and you can still buy them to this very day!!!

Yes but the ones made now ARE PROBABLY GARBAGE compared to how they were made back in thier prime... (Stuff was made MUCH BETTER in the 80s and earlier))

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aussie Bloke
Goes to show that even your standard mass produced VHS machine can become a collectors item once being deemed obsolete with the introduction of DVD players/recorders.

Yes its sad most ppl DONT CARE ABOUT QUALITY.. I would take a VHS anyday over CD! (Video not hardily as flat,nicer colours,sound,etc)