Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums

Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums (http://www.videokarma.org/index.php)
-   Solid State CRT Televisions (http://www.videokarma.org/forumdisplay.php?f=184)
-   -   1976 Quasar console (http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=263773)

Dreamsbeard 03-09-2015 07:43 PM

1976 Quasar console

5 Attachment(s)
About two years ago, I went on a little road trip (approx 500km round trip) to pick up this 76 Quasar console. Got it from an elderly couple that bought it new in early 77 for 861$ (they still had the receipt for it!). They told me that the TV had been in their basement since about 1991, and that they rarely used it since then. They where happy to see it go to a good home.

The reason, I bring this up now, is that I kept the TV in storage at my stepmother house since, but in a few weeks I bring it home with me, and I wanted to know more about it.

Obviously it's not as collectible as a real Motorola works in a drawer, but it's still early enough to be intersting (to me anyway :yes:).

Please feel free to share your thought about this one!

Thanks!

Olorin67 03-09-2015 08:08 PM

My grandparents had the same set. My granpas brother was the local quasar dealer (marsden TV in Edgerton, WI) sadly its now a Subway...set was still going strong when i saw it 2 years ago.

Marco-nix 03-10-2015 07:25 AM

I don't know much about Quasar...Mais tu as fait une bonne affaire ...If this set's working fine, it's a plus .

Jon A. 03-10-2015 02:12 PM

Quasar WID sets, Moto or Jap, are all showpieces in my opinion. :smoke:

Findm-Keepm 03-10-2015 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dreamsbeard (Post 3128339)
About two years ago, I went on a little road trip (approx 500km round trip) to pick up this 76 Quasar console. Got it from an elderly couple that bought it new in early 77 for 861$ (they still had the receipt for it!). They told me that the TV had been in their basement since about 1991, and that they rarely used it since then. They where happy to see it go to a good home.

The reason, I bring this up now, is that I kept the TV in storage at my stepmother house since, but in a few weeks I bring it home with me, and I wanted to know more about it.

Obviously it's not as collectible as a real Motorola works in a drawer, but it's still early enough to be intersting (to me anyway :yes:).

Please feel free to share your thought about this one!

Thanks!

Um, rare in these parts! :yes:Your set is a "Super Module Chassis" set - 75% of the set's circuitry is on the SF-panel super module. The two Super Module chassis produced by Matsushita/Quasar were the TS-958 and TS-959.

I have the Technical Training data for your set - description, receiver functions, circuit descriptions, troubleshooting, and adjustments. Last two pages are the schematics for the 958 and 959 chassis. I may also have the Service manual for your set - I know I've got a lot of TS-95x-97x manuals.:scratch2:

Interesting chassis - 7 safety caps from the HOT collector to ground!

Cheers,

Cheers,

Jon A. 03-10-2015 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Findm-Keepm (Post 3128416)

Sounds like a fail safe design that would likely trip the breaker before the HV climbed high enough to do significant damage.

Dreamsbeard 03-10-2015 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon A. (Post 3128412)
Quasar WID sets, Moto or Jap, are all showpieces in my opinion. :smoke:

Hey , thanks buddy :thmbsp: I really quite like it. It may not be a CC flat chassis, but it's the nicest console I have for sure.

I'd be really interested to know what its strengh and weakenesses are. Zeno? :D

Dreamsbeard 03-10-2015 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Findm-Keepm (Post 3128416)
Um, rare in these parts! :yes:Your set is a "Super Module Chassis" set - 75% of the set's circuitry is on the SF-panel super module. The two Super Module chassis produced by Matsushita/Quasar were the TS-958 and TS-959.

I have the Technical Training data for your set - description, receiver functions, circuit descriptions, troubleshooting, and adjustments. Last two pages are the schematics for the 958 and 959 chassis. I may also have the Service manual for your set - I know I've got a lot of TS-95x-97x manuals.:scratch2:

Cheers,

Cheers,

Nice, This one needs a convergence adjustment, I suppose the procedure would be available in your litterature?

As for it being somewhat rare, I suppose that when Motorola sold to Matsushita, a lot of people in the US lost interest in the brand maybe?

7 safety cap? Hey that's 3 more than the CC, that's somehting! :D

radiotvnut 03-10-2015 08:38 PM

Does this set use a delta gun CRT? I'd be interested in knowing who made the tube (the EIA number on the tube label should tell us).

Dreamsbeard 03-10-2015 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by radiotvnut (Post 3128444)
Does this set use a delta gun CRT? I'd be interested in knowing who made the tube (the EIA number on the tube label should tell us).

Of course it does! V25VCZP22

drh4683 03-10-2015 10:29 PM

This is an interesting set. I can appreciate the Matsushita attempt at the "works in a drawer" design. Seeing that you're in Canada, I'd be curious to know if this set was built at the Motorola/Quasar TV plant that was in Markham, Ontario. That plant opened in 1971 and they only built TV's for the Canadian market there. I don't know if Matsushita took over that plant right away or not when they completed the purchase of the consumer division in May of '74. Do you have the exact model and serial number from the back tag on this set?

zeno 03-11-2015 07:55 AM

Where I worked there were not many Motorola / Quasar sets. I
only remember putting a few hoz outputs in them. As a rule
anything Panasinic made was of good quality. Usually very easy
to fix & good runners.
Later in the '80's we did start selling Quasars as a lower priced set.
They were good except bad flybacks.

73 Zeno:smoke:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dreamsbeard (Post 3128434)
Hey , thanks buddy :thmbsp: I really quite like it. It may not be a CC flat chassis, but it's the nicest console I have for sure.

I'd be really interested to know what its strengh and weakenesses are. Zeno? :D

Findm-Keepm 03-11-2015 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dreamsbeard (Post 3128435)
Nice, This one needs a convergence adjustment, I suppose the procedure would be available in your litterature?

Nope - but there is a 2-page description of the convergence circuitry for both the delta and in-line CRTs. Understand that Quasar technical training covers unique circuitry that an experienced technician would need. They don't cover mundane, standard or non-unique adjustments such as convergence.

Your set has adjustments for all aspects - and the board is labeled as to what each pot/coil does. If the red/green or blue is out of convergence in an area of the CRT, just adjust that coil or pot. Out all over? Start with a static alignment with the neck magnets, and then perform a dynamic adustment using the pots/coils on the convergence board. The pots/coils are marked with their function, e.g. TOP BLU HORIZ or RIGHT R/G VERT.

Hope this helps - it would help to know if you've ever converged a TV.

Cheers,

dieseljeep 03-11-2015 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dreamsbeard (Post 3128445)
Of course it does! V25VCZP22

The Quasar CRT's of that era were Sylvania. They seemed to be very long lived. :thmbsp:

Marco-nix 03-11-2015 09:30 AM

Dreamsbeard, check your private message ;)