Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums

Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums (http://www.videokarma.org/index.php)
-   Television Broadcast Theory (http://www.videokarma.org/forumdisplay.php?f=182)
-   -   New antenna wiring (http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=256941)

josephdaniel 01-08-2013 07:50 PM

New antenna wiring

I have my antenna on a 35 foot mast above my house right now with the coax going into my room into a converter box total run is about 30 feet long with no preamp and I get about 38-34 channels regularly with no rotor.
My parents have decided they want to cut their sattelite and go back to antenna which we had up until 2007/2005 The want me to run it along the existing dish network wiring that is already in place and wired up to all the rooms (I know I will have to replace all of the splitters and stuff)
there are three rooms each about thirty feet from the splitter and a 30 foot run of rg6 to the 3 way splitter. My problem is is that with the antenna hooded up to the existing coax with all the sattelite splitters removed I only get about 20 channels on the closest TV and 15 on the farthest do I need a distribution amp or a pre amp? Witch ever it is it would need to be able to be mounted outside (not the power supply of course)
thanks

old_tv_nut 01-09-2013 10:52 AM

If you were having trouble at your first 30 foot point, then an on-mast preamp would be a must. Since you are not seeing trouble with only one receiver at the entry point, it appears you can use a distribution amp at the first inside point to make up for splitter loss, and no outside amp would be needed.

josephdaniel 01-09-2013 08:55 PM

OK thank you! Are the distribution amps that have 3 ports on them the same as the ones that just have one except the ones with multiple outs have an internal splitter?

old_tv_nut 01-09-2013 09:45 PM

Most likely yes. The only reason to have separate amps for each output would be to reduce distortion in a high level amp, which will not be the case here.

Warning - some of the cheap amps are not very good, tend to provide more gain than needed (on the theory that people will think more is better), and can have a tendency to oscillate. I had a RadioShack one that would oscillate, and the frequency would tune through the UHF band as you adjusted the gain. You could see this on analog TV as a herringbone pattern in the picture, but on digital, it would be hard to tell why you might be clobbering a particular channel's signal.

I'm not prepared to recommend a particular brand - our expert is out at CES, so I can't ask him right now.

josephdaniel 01-09-2013 09:55 PM

The only reason i am asking is because I would like to place the amp a few feet ahead of the splitter.
BTW I would love to be at CES

old_tv_nut 01-09-2013 10:04 PM

So you are looking for a single-output amp and external splitters - noted.

Reece 01-12-2013 08:45 AM

I had trouble getting digital TV to several outlets in my house when cable switched over. I bought little Motorola amps from Amazon and am very happy with them. They have amps with single outlets up to about four outlets.