Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums

Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums (http://www.videokarma.org/index.php)
-   Movies, shows, & programs (http://www.videokarma.org/forumdisplay.php?f=112)
-   -   Dumb Jerry Springer show (http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=268327)

crt89 01-07-2017 12:45 PM

Dumb Jerry Springer show

I have a couple funny stories about Jerry Springer. My grandmother used to watch it sometimes to laugh, and she would be talking on the phone to my mom while it was on. And my mom would tell her to turn off that trash as she was boosting their ratings.

Another funny.

My aunt and uncle often watch the news before they go to sleep on their bedroom TV. The Jerry Springer show comes on at some point after. One night my grandmother was visiting them and heard yelling and screaming coming from their bedroom. She said it sounded like they were having a knock down drag out in there, so she went to see and it turned out it was the TV been left on and Jerry Springer was on. They must be sound sleepers!

Jeffhs 01-07-2017 01:46 PM

"Dumb" isn't even close

I didn't mind watching Jerry Springer's show when it was new; however, the show has gone way off the deep end since then, IMHO, and I wouldn't have anything to do with it today. If there was as much screaming, yelling, etc. on that show now as the last poster said, I am sure the program has gotten to the place where it isn't worth watching anymore.

Springer probably wasn't nearly that bad when he was a news anchor in Cincinnati on that city's NBC affiliate, WLWT, long before he had a talk show, but TV was different back then; the talk shows were much more tame than they are now, for example. Today, the public seems to want TV talk shows that become violent, with screaming, yelling and even the show's participants throwing things around in the studio. Security has had to be called in more than once on the air on some of these shows when things got out of hand--I used to see security personnel on the set of Springer's program, for instance, stopping fights and so on.

Sheeeeesh. What is this world coming to? :scratch2:

MIPS 01-07-2017 06:18 PM

Jerry Springer hasn't been a valid talk show as much as Maury Povich has been for decades.

It's White Trash TV that you saw while channel surfing when WWF was at commercials. I've never taken it for face value but I've always just found the situations on the show to ALWAYS be some of the most hailarious garabage put on TV post Jersey Shore.

Quote:

I used to see security personnel on the set of Springer's program, for instance, stopping fights and so on.
Then Steve went on to do his own off-the-hook talk show which bombed.

centralradio 01-08-2017 08:09 PM

Saw a clip of his new show during the holiday and going through the channels.I do miss The Morton Downey Jr Show.

ChrisW6ATV 01-15-2017 10:53 AM

About fifteen years ago, I had to repair several Sony monitors on-site in an airport here in California. The work space they had available was in a break room, and the TV set was tuned to Jerry Springer the whole 2-3 hours I was working on those monitors.

If I am ever forced to be in a room again with Jerry Springer on the TV set, I will sue for mental cruelty.

KentTeffeteller 01-22-2017 10:12 AM

Agreed! The Profanity Delays worked overtime on this show. I used to call this show Fun With Tasers!

Dude111 01-24-2017 08:08 AM

1 of the worst shows ever!!

NOTHING BUT BEEP,BEEP,BEEP..... Piece of trash!!

zenithfan1 01-25-2017 05:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by centralradio (Post 3176399)
Saw a clip of his new show during the holiday and going through the channels.I do miss The Morton Downey Jr Show.

I liked the Morton Downey Jr show too :) Haven't thought about that show in years..

Chip Chester 01-25-2017 08:04 AM

Dumb Jerry Springer is certainly the correct adjective.

http://content.time.com/time/special...721110,00.html

When your introduction to the media is being chastised (and surviving!) being outed for paying a prostitute with a (personalized!) personal check, that sort of charts the course of your career. When Cincinnati says "Meh, that's OK, we'll re-elect you anyway" that charts their course, too.

Chip

centralradio 01-27-2017 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zenithfan1 (Post 3177249)
I liked the Morton Downey Jr show too :) Haven't thought about that show in years..

Yes Morton lives on forever with Youtube and some VHS I recorded years ago.

Electronic M 01-27-2017 01:25 PM

There is a reason I don't watch or want to watch daytime TV, especially OTA....It is primarily garbage aimed at the dregs of society...

crt89 01-28-2017 06:20 PM

I agree, I've often found daytime TV to be the same. Trashy talk shows like Jerry, court shows, and commercials for ambulance chasing lawyers and questionable car insurance companies. Just stuff that makes you think of lazy people. I guess that's a bit of a generalization, but even as a kid that was how I saw much of what was aired on weekdays.

Dude111 01-30-2017 09:57 AM

Absolutely disgusting!

http://web.archive.org/web/20130323055404/http://franksemails.com/video/dwarf-fight.wmv

PLAYS WITH WMP or VLC,etc.......

NowhereMan 1966 02-19-2017 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zenithfan1 (Post 3177249)

I remember that show too. Watched it all the time, enjoyed it. I haven't thought of him in years until I came across his book that I have. BTW, I remember listening to him in the mid 1990's out of Cleveland on 1100 WWWE, now WTAM.

Jon A. 02-19-2017 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisW6ATV (Post 3176751)
About fifteen years ago, I had to repair several Sony monitors on-site in an airport here in California. The work space they had available was in a break room, and the TV set was tuned to Jerry Springer the whole 2-3 hours I was working on those monitors.

Whoa, two or three hours in a tiny room with Jerry Springer? I would have tased myself with one of those monitors.