Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums

Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums (http://www.videokarma.org/index.php)
-   Recorded Video (http://www.videokarma.org/forumdisplay.php?f=173)
-   -   proscan psvr81 VCR won't power up (http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=270072)

Adam 01-30-2018 03:01 PM

proscan psvr81 VCR won't power up

I picked up this VCR, and it's newer than anything I usually work on (looks early 90s), but it looks to be a high end model and I'd like to at least try to get it going. I haven't yet checked the obvious, like taking the cover off and seeing if the power cord came loose or if there's a blown fuse. But I was wondering if there was some common cause of this in these units: a voltage regulator, or filter capacitor in the power supply known for going bad and causing this? I figure if it won't power on at all, it might just be a power supply issue that I can actually fix and nothing else that is wrong with this unit.

Celt 01-30-2018 04:20 PM

I had to replace voltage regulators on a few Panasonic built VCR's. I'd check there first.

Electronic M 01-30-2018 07:20 PM

Some JVC decks I have will play dead when the B+ rail filters go bad. Got an ESR meter?...The $15 Chinese ones on ebay are a worthwhile aid in servicing SS gear.

Celt 01-31-2018 06:30 AM

Agreed. These machines are now old enough for the electrolytics to be going bad.

dieseljeep 01-31-2018 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 3195580)
I picked up this VCR, and it's newer than anything I usually work on (looks early 90s), but it looks to be a high end model and I'd like to at least try to get it going. I haven't yet checked the obvious, like taking the cover off and seeing if the power cord came loose or if there's a blown fuse. But I was wondering if there was some common cause of this in these units: a voltage regulator, or filter capacitor in the power supply known for going bad and causing this? I figure if it won't power on at all, it might just be a power supply issue that I can actually fix and nothing else that is wrong with this unit.

Is that the model with a separate power supply module or is everything on the main board? Do you have an idea who made it for Thompson? :scratch2:

Blast 02-05-2018 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dieseljeep (Post 3195598)
Do you have an idea who made it for Thompson? :scratch2:

That was made by IVP- International Video Products. IVP was a joint venture with Toshiba and someone else. Was it Thomson? It's been so long I've forgotten.

That's a 1992 introduction. It is in ProScan service data index PSVR61/81. FCC ID# was G95667192. I've never worked on a PSVR81 but have worked on 10 of the PSVR61. None of them had any power supply problems, however.

FCC ID# G95667192 is shared with RCA model VR667HF. Computer says I worked on 25 of these models between 1994 and 2001.

One of the 667's I worked on in 1999 was dead after lightning damage. I found the main switching IC (RCA part number 211570) blown. Replacing it repaired the power supply but, there were other lightning related issues after that so it was a "no fix".

As others have mentioned it would not surprise me that power supply electrolytics would need to be replaced after this time.

Good luck repairing yours!

mgross0 02-06-2018 10:45 PM

That would be about the time that Toshiba and Samsung got together to make some truly horrible VCR's. Samsuck also made several units for RCA/Thompson around this time frame.

dishdude 02-06-2018 11:22 PM

Never heard of IVP, and this was a unique machine I couldn't identify a manufacturer on. Pretty cool info.

Blast 02-07-2018 07:26 AM

I wouldn't have guessed that Samsung was part of any joint venture with Toshiba but, it was a long time ago and I've had important things to think about since. :D

The Samsung era of VCR and TV/VCR branding for Thomson began about 1987 (with the RCA model VPT200) and continued until at least the time that I got out of the biz in 2001.