Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums

Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums (http://www.videokarma.org/index.php)
-   Diagnostic & Test Equipment (http://www.videokarma.org/forumdisplay.php?f=177)
-   -   B+K 467 erroneous readings (http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=268575)

TUD1 02-21-2017 09:17 PM

B+K 467 erroneous readings

2 Attachment(s)
In case anybody hadn't noticed, I'm hell bent on getting a working example of every CRT tester ever made. I bought this B+K Precision 467 at the swap meet this weekend seconds before buying my Sencore CR70. The guy promised me it worked (sure thing) and of course it doesn't. I've tested it on three CRT's now, and it measured them all as being weak, even though my CR70 and B+K 470 both say they test good. The 467 also started buzzing today when I used it to get the pictures. I'll probably try a calibration on it, but there is something wrong that makes the meters read low on emission test. Has anybody else had these kind of problems with 467's?

MadMan 02-21-2017 09:40 PM

/me shrugs

Why not open it and look inside?

TUD1 02-21-2017 10:10 PM

Opened it up, and found about a dozen cold solders. Not as much as I've seen in another 467 on YouTube. Theirs had almost all its joints cracked. I tried to reflow them with my soldering gun, but it was way too big. I'll have to get a pencil tip and reflow them. The tube inside also tested marginal.

DavGoodlin 02-22-2017 08:17 AM

I have two of these BK 467s, one from a shop closing and another from a swap meet. One has a dead filament supply and the other has G1 supply failure. both seem to have loads of cold solder joints.

Im just not very motivated to spend as much time on this as on a whole color TV, though there are enough different sockets there is probably not a set I have this would not be able to test.

TUD1 02-22-2017 09:12 AM

It seems that 467's are highly flaky and unreliable. I have two, and my other one doesn't even work. The cutoffs are way messed up on it.

davet753 02-22-2017 11:10 AM

I used a 467 for years, and it was highly dependable. The only time I ever cracked open the case was to repair a cold solder joint, and cleaned all the switches (while I had it apart). If that 467 wasn't on the bench, it was tossing around in the back of the van on service calls. Other than the cheap, plastic latch on the case, it was a great machine. I wish I had it back!

I had a competitor who used to swing by my shop to get me to rejuvenate CRT's for him that his Sencore machine wouldn't do.

Jon A. 02-22-2017 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavGoodlin (Post 3179169)
I have two of these BK 467s, one from a shop closing and another from a swap meet. One has a dead filament supply and the other has G1 supply failure. both seem to have loads of cold solder joints.

That's probably what's wrong with my CR70 parts unit. It won't light the tube neck on any setting.

In my experience with test gear, taking a gamble on something that "powers on but is otherwise untested" usually pays off and is a very good bargain. It doesn't surprise me that the guy you got the B&K from was blowing smoke. No negative feedback from a swap meet.

Findm-Keepm 02-23-2017 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davet753 (Post 3179177)
I used a 467 for years, and it was highly dependable. The only time I ever cracked open the case was to repair a cold solder joint, and cleaned all the switches (while I had it apart). If that 467 wasn't on the bench, it was tossing around in the back of the van on service calls. Other than the cheap, plastic latch on the case, it was a great machine. I wish I had it back!

I had a competitor who used to swing by my shop to get me to rejuvenate CRT's for him that his Sencore machine wouldn't do.

+1 - we had a 467, and two 470s. I've got seven 470s now - all have bad hinges, but they will all test a tube, 'cept one with a molex connector issue. I gotta go through them one day and see how many adapters I have - many are homemade by my late father.

davet753 02-26-2017 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Findm-Keepm (Post 3179256)
+1 - we had a 467, and two 470s. I've got seven 470s now - all have bad hinges, but they will all test a tube, 'cept one with a molex connector issue. I gotta go through them one day and see how many adapters I have - many are homemade by my late father.

I had a home-brew adapter, but I can't remember exactly what it was for. B&K also made a "universal adapter" that had alligator clips on it, labeled so you could use a basing diagram and test anything.

I always liked the fact the 467 had three separate meters. It was nice to be able to see all three guns simultaneously.

Tubejunke 02-28-2017 01:17 AM

Since Tud1 wants to collect c.r.t. testers, I figured I would post this here. I have a Sencore CR143 tester that I purchased. I then realized that you must have the manual to operate it once I found that the instructions inside the cover were only basic and referenced the manual, so I had to buy the manual. In testing it, I found that it would not zero for some reason and without that, no test result is going to be accurate. It does power filaments or did on a couple of old sets I have, and it does give a reading which says that the meter is good.
I popped it open one day concerned with the zero function and found that a large electrolytic capacitor was warm. I opened a leg and it’s leaky as can be on a load tester. That’s not the zero problem though. At any rate, if anyone wants the thing I will let it go cheap. It is in nice condition with all cables needed to test most any c.r.t. (up to a certain generation I assume). Just PM if interested.

DavGoodlin 02-28-2017 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tubejunke (Post 3179521)
Since Tud1 wants to collect c.r.t. testers, I figured I would post this here. .....Just PM if interested.

+1 Id be happy to let my two 467's go cheap also. But I will hit the solder joints first to be sure they are not easy fixes. I only like working on older stuff and 1970s delta-gun tubes.

Over the last 3 years, I have a B&K 445 that gives me the best read on any older CRT, I disconnected the "dynamic intensifier button" as it scares the hell out of me just thinking of actually pushing it. "Remove shorts" is a scary feature too:nono:

For the previous 40 years, my Heathkit IT-5320, that works on a Beltron-style circuit. It can hit a CRT hard on rejuvenate if it needs to but Ive never trashed a cathode either

Tim 02-28-2017 10:28 AM

As a point of reference, my 467 matches the readings I get on my CR70 when the CRT type is set to "video".

TUD1 03-18-2017 10:07 AM

I reflowed a whole bunch of solder joints on this thing, and I think I solved the problem. The meters read way different than they did in that picture, but they still kind of "shiver." I tested it on a crappy CRT (the one in the 1965 Zenith with 6 million hours) and it reads that CRT as being stronger than the one I tested for the other picture. Which I know is way stronger.

Findm-Keepm 03-18-2017 11:29 AM

Re: shivering meters.....

I powered up my 467 last night to check a 5" TV test CRT. Dancing needles - all three meters. :thumbsdn: They seem to pulse at a fixed interval. I'll open it up this week - too much spring cleaning going on to do any tron stuff right now.

DavGoodlin 03-21-2017 08:10 AM

When I first test some color CRTs with a Heathkit IT-5320, the needles on all three meters waver back and forth at 1-2 sec intervals as it warms up, especially a sleepy tube. After a few minutes they stop.