Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums

Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums (http://www.videokarma.org/index.php)
-   Flat Panels & Digital Format (http://www.videokarma.org/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   RCA DTA800 DTV convertor. (http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=270689)

dieseljeep 07-18-2018 11:52 AM

RCA DTA800 DTV convertor.

I just picked up an RCA DTV convertor.
I never saw one like this and never knew they existed. It's about 2/3 the size of the earlier models and the remote is tiny and uses a coin battery that was included. The remote has several buttons on it like a DVD. I thought it was just a universal type remote so it could be used with an RCA DVD player.
I read the instructions, which is out of character for me and you can use it to record. It has a USB port on the side, which the instructions say that it could be used with an external hard drive. It also stated a memory stick.
I just happened to have a 64G stick on hand. The thing really works slick. The quality is really great! It can also be programed like a VCR, one day, one event only.

andy 07-19-2018 09:43 AM

dieseljeep 07-19-2018 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andy (Post 3202147)
I have an almost identical looking box that's branded Sylvania. It was probably made by the same company. It's a nifty product, although it does suffer from some software bugs. Sometimes the sound gets distorted and requires a power cycle. Also, the USB recording on a timer isn't something you want to rely on. It is an easy way to capture a live TV recording that you want to save or transfer to your computer.

It can also play downloaded and ripped videos from a USB drive. It will even play files ripped from a Blu-ray disc, but it can't decode the advanced audio tracks (it's limited to regular Dolby digital).

I never tried the timed recording. I just hit the record button when I want to save something. :thmbsp:

dieseljeep 07-21-2018 09:55 AM

Quote:

I have an almost identical looking box that's branded Sylvania. It was probably made by the same company. It's a nifty product, although it does suffer from some software bugs. Sometimes the sound gets distorted and requires a power cycle. Also, the USB recording on a timer isn't something you want to rely on. It is an easy way to capture a live TV recording that you want to save or transfer to your computer.

It can also play downloaded and ripped videos from a USB drive. It will even play files ripped from a Blu-ray disc, but it can't decode the advanced audio tracks (it's limited to regular Dolby digital).

Made a mistake on the model number, it's DTA880. :thmbsp:

dieseljeep 07-27-2018 07:20 PM

Quote:

You're right on your observation! There must be a software glitch as one time the unit wouldn't respond to the remote commands. I cycled the power and everything seems OK.
The remote uses a 3 volt coin battery that I can't buy from Dollartree. The ones they have aren't the proper ones. :sigh:

dieseljeep 12-13-2018 11:03 AM

Quote:

I just bought another type of DTV converter and recorder, this one from Best Buy. It's branded Aluretech or ???. It seems to be a little better unit than the RCA. It also plays back the memory chips recorded on the RCA.
I can't believe the quality of the recordings. :thmbsp:

user181 12-13-2018 03:35 PM

What format do these DTV converter-recorders save the video to? Is it some proprietary thing that's not intended to be copied and/or used on a PC?

andy 12-13-2018 04:11 PM

Boobtubeman 12-14-2018 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dieseljeep (Post 3202211)
Made a mistake on the model number, it's DTA880. :thmbsp:

Funny this topic should come up now, i have the EXACT same unit my brother ran across in a box of random crap. No remote or power supply, i subbed a power supply but dont have a remote. What i can work with from the front panel, it seems superior to the DTA 800 i currently use.. Neat little unit, i bet it could be wired to a 12v analog portable tv making it DTV compliant...

I may have to track down a whole unit in the near future.. :)

SR

dieseljeep 12-14-2018 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boobtubeman (Post 3206672)
Funny this topic should come up now, i have the EXACT same unit my brother ran across in a box of random crap. No remote or power supply, i subbed a power supply but dont have a remote. What i can work with from the front panel, it seems superior to the DTA 800 i currently use.. Neat little unit, i bet it could be wired to a 12v analog portable tv making it DTV compliant...

I may have to track down a whole unit in the near future.. :)

SR

This new rig I bought has a built in 100 to 240 volt power supply, but it's another one that needs a dedicated remote.
The RCA DTA880 remote is a real small thing that uses a coin battery.
I bought my RCA at my favorite charity thrift for a buck. Someone evidently tried it and didn't want to fool with it. I didn't even know they existed.