Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums

Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums (http://www.videokarma.org/index.php)
-   Antique Radio (http://www.videokarma.org/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Admiral Chicago Plant Photos? (http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=268482)

JacobK 02-06-2017 12:49 PM

Admiral Chicago Plant Photos?

Hi everyone:

I hope this is the right place to post this message. I'm working on a book on the Logan Square neighborhood of Chicago, where the Admiral radio/TV factory (3800 W Cortland) was located for many years. However, I have come up short looking for photos of the plant, either inside or exterior shots. Does anyone have or know where we might find such photos? We want to be sure to include this important part of the neighborhood in this upcoming book.

Thanks!

-Jacob Kaplan

MadMan 02-06-2017 04:36 PM

See if there's a neighborhood historical society.

old_tv_nut 02-06-2017 09:23 PM

You don't say what you have tried. How about the Chicago Historical Society?

dieseljeep 02-07-2017 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by old_tv_nut (Post 3178134)
You don't say what you have tried. How about the Chicago Historical Society?

Look up Google maps, "Street View". I remember seeing what the buildings looked like.

Steve D. 02-07-2017 12:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by JacobK (Post 3178078)
Hi everyone:

I hope this is the right place to post this message. I'm working on a book on the Logan Square neighborhood of Chicago, where the Admiral radio/TV factory (3800 W Cortland) was located for many years. However, I have come up short looking for photos of the plant, either inside or exterior shots. Does anyone have or know where we might find such photos? We want to be sure to include this important part of the neighborhood in this upcoming book.

Thanks!

-Jacob Kaplan

Jacob,

Just came across this paragraph on the site "Made in Chicago" The primary Chicago plant for Admiral Corp. was located at 3800 West Cortland Street for roughly 30 years—one of the many factories located off the old Bloomingdale train line (including Schwinn Bicycles, Ludwig Drum Co., and Playskool). The factory was leveled in the 2000s and the Marine Leadership Academy at Ames 1920 Hamlin @ Cortland stands in its place. Here is a photo of The Marine Leadership Academy at Ames. An exhaustive on line search found no photos of the Cortland St. plant. Wish you well.

-Steve D.

JacobK 02-07-2017 07:57 PM

Hi all:

Thanks for the responses! Yes, I've tried the Chicago History Museum and many other local resources and have still come up empty handed. Still searching...

-Jacob

TUD1 02-07-2017 09:00 PM

It makes me sick to see that they would build a damn football field on top of where my roundie was made...

Findm-Keepm 02-07-2017 11:12 PM

Continental Radio and Television was Admiral's original name.....search on that and see if you can find anything. Kinda oblique, but:

http://www.americanradiohistory.com/...-Page-0080.pdf

JacobK 02-08-2017 10:34 AM

Good call - thanks!

dieseljeep 02-08-2017 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Findm-Keepm (Post 3178198)
Continental Radio and Television was Admiral's original name.....search on that and see if you can find anything. Kinda oblique, but:

http://www.americanradiohistory.com/...-Page-0080.pdf

As soon as Admiral Corp was sold to Rockwell International, all bets were off.
Living in Milwaukee, I saw what Rockwell did to Allen-Bradley. They had 7,000 employees, working 3 shifts. Now they have under 200. All their manufacturing was moved to China, Mexico and one European country.
I don't think they'll mess with Collins Radio, as most of their production is Government contracts. :scratch2:

Steve D. 02-08-2017 11:56 AM

That great Continental Radio/Admiral ad was from Radio Retailing Magazine March, 1943.
I took the liberty of isolating the factory photo. Also, I wonder if the Continental Radio/Admiral archives were just tossed or went to a university or other place?

-Steve D.

JacobK 02-09-2017 11:35 AM

That's what I've been trying to figure out. So far I'm guessing they were tossed - I've reached out to the foundation of the founder (Siragusa), the company currently using the Admiral name and others and nobody seems to know what happened to them. I'll keep searching though!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve D. (Post 3178209)
That great Continental Radio/Admiral ad was from Radio Retailing Magazine March, 1943.
I took the liberty of isolating the factory photo. Also, I wonder if the Continental Radio/Admiral archives were just tossed or went to a university or other place?

-Steve D.

Findm-Keepm 02-09-2017 12:42 PM

Same thing with the Portsmouth GE plant. I've never seen a photo - just a line drawing on some projection TV promo literature...

I ain't lookin - just commenting.

EdKozk2 02-09-2017 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JacobK (Post 3178272)
That's what I've been trying to figure out. So far I'm guessing they were tossed - I've reached out to the foundation of the founder (Siragusa), the company currently using the Admiral name and others and nobody seems to know what happened to them. I'll keep searching though!

JacobK,
I grew up in Chicago, and I can remember they used to fly a Blimp/ airship over the city for mapping purposes. There maybe aerial photos in existence, they would have been taken in the 70's or early 80's. One of my relatives worked at the plant on Courtland in the 40's thru the 60's. Sorry I don't have any pictures.
Ed

maxm 02-11-2017 04:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This website offers historic aerial photographs of Chicago going back to 1938. Of course, you are limited to the details of buildings that are visible from above.

http://www.historicaerials.com/

The best place to find historic photos would be from company documents, such as newsletters, annual reports, etc. Unfortunately, these items are hard to find today, as no one really saw the value in saving them.

Doug Harland (drh4683) has collected some "ephemera" from Chicago electronics manufacturers from the estate sales of former employees, he may have some Admiral paperwork that would be helpful.