Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums

Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums (http://www.videokarma.org/index.php)
-   General Off Topic Forums (http://www.videokarma.org/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Looking to Replace my Headphones (http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=266602)

Dubis7 03-21-2016 05:05 PM

Looking to Replace my Headphones

Hey, all. I'm looking to upgrade my current headphones for something that will hold up long term. Ideally, I'd like to be using them a decade or so from now, so repairability is a must. I'm thinking made in USA or Europe, detachable cord, active noise canceling, and over ear, but on a budget (200 or so dollars max.) Optional bluetooth would also be nice, if that's an option. Does anyone have any recommendations?

MRX37 03-21-2016 06:48 PM

Wow I'd never pay $200 for a pair of headphones. I can't recommend a specific model, but good pairs of headphones can be had for $60-$100.

But if money is no object... Meze 99's.

Jeffhs 03-21-2016 08:45 PM

I bought a pair of "Naxa" headphones about three years ago, from Radio Shack IIRC. They are good hi-fi headphones with amazing bass response and an inline volume control. The cord, however, is hardwired to the headphones, not detachable, so you probably wouldn't be interested if you are looking for phones with a detachable cord. The only problem I've had with mine so far is a slight separation of the headphone cord from the male plug at the end of said cord, but I was able to secure it with a few wraps of duct tape.

I've had the separation problem with other types of headphones as well, but with those I didn't catch the separation in time to keep the plug from parting company with the cord. :no: Too bad, as the other phones I had sounded great. I haven't tried to repair the damage to the plug, however, because of the type of wire used in the cable; I don't know if it will take solder or not, and I haven't tried. The wire looks like cheap offshore stuff that isn't meant to be spliced or soldered to if it breaks.

As I said, my Naxa headphones seem to be very high quality, with very deep bass and excellent overall sound when driven by my 50-watt-per-channel (WPC) Aiwa bookshelf stereo system, not to mention having a padded headband and cushioned earcups. I didn't pay a lot for them, either; I don't remember how much, but it couldn't have been more than $20-25. As long as you don't try to overdrive them (I'm not sure of the maximum input rating, but it is probably well under one watt, so I wouldn't try to listen with them to a high-powered amplifier at anywhere near full volume) they will last a long time and, as I mentioned, the sound fidelity is nothing to sneeze at.

Olorin67 03-21-2016 09:46 PM

I really love the USA made Grado headphones, but I dont know if they make noise cancelling ones or bluetooth. I've had good luck with Koss products also, even their cheap ones.

jr_tech 03-21-2016 09:50 PM

Decent analysis of studio headphones here:

http://www.wirerealm.com/guides/top-...dio-headphones

My personal favorite is Sony 7506 but my wife prefers the older Sony V600s. Both cord (about 15$) and pads (about 30$) are easily replaced on either of the units. IMHO, bluetooth and active noise canceling are both detrimental to highest quality sound.

jr

Celt 03-22-2016 06:12 AM

Second the Grados. Even their entry level SR-60 are way more neutral and balanced than those costing much more.

Dubis7 03-22-2016 06:16 PM

I'm not seeing that the Grado headphones have detachable cords, though. Even if they offer a service option, I'd prefer to have something where, when the cord inevitably breaks, I can swap it out on the fly.

lnx64 03-22-2016 06:25 PM

I really like my AKG 240 studio. Best pair I have used.

Beachboy 03-27-2016 03:00 PM

Not sure if they're still made, but I've owned a set of Koss Pro 4A headphones since 1978. Basically studio-quality units, with a heavy cord and 1/4" plug. Old school quality, no bluetooth, detachable cords, or designer styling.

Titan1a 03-27-2016 08:31 PM

Yes. Still made along with 4AA and 4AAA.

Chip Chester 03-27-2016 09:52 PM

+1 on the Sonys and AKG K240. None of the bells and whistles, but they're quality cans that hold up for decades of owner-use, and isolate reasonably well. Adding more connections to a cable is not something I usually seek out.

If the current Fostex line sound anything like the T-20s of old, they're worth a listen too. At least they have detachable cables.

They make battery powered rechargeable bluetooth receivers that will work with any phones.

Do you have an impedance target?

Chip

maxhifi 03-27-2016 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dubis7 (Post 3158879)
Hey, all. I'm looking to upgrade my current headphones for something that will hold up long term. Ideally, I'd like to be using them a decade or so from now, so repairability is a must. I'm thinking made in USA or Europe, detachable cord, active noise canceling, and over ear, but on a budget (200 or so dollars max.) Optional bluetooth would also be nice, if that's an option. Does anyone have any recommendations?

That list of conditions is more or less mutually exclusive, you need to check out what's out there. I for one like my grado sr-60, they have a robust cable and have logged lots of hours.

For noise reducing rather than noise cancelling I bought a pair of David Clark headphones... Those helped me out big time when I was living in a mining camp
And needed some peace and quiet!

Electronic M 03-28-2016 12:47 AM

I've ran Sony MDR-V150 Studio Monitor phones for years. They are relatively inexpensive and sound very good (don't think I've used a better sounding pair of phones). I've had 3-5 pairs of them over the last decade. For a few years I was giving them 2+ hours of use a day...During that time the 2 longevity issues with them came to light. The swivels for the cups are not as strong as they should be (though many breaks can be fixed with super glue); if you sit on it or step on it by accident you'll hear a sickening (once you realize what it was) click. The other problem is that the faux leather will peel off the cups pads if you get more than 1-2 years of heavy use out of it without breaking the cup swivels beyond repair. The permanently affixed cable is a STRONG point...It is ~7' of thick sturdy wire with a 1/8" plug (most include a 1/4" adapter). I don't think I ever managed to ruin the cord....Hell the cord is so strong that in highschool I was using it with a neck strap worn radio/MP3 recorder and it seemed that many times when I would get up the cord would snag on the chair ripping the phones off my head, the phone plug out of the MP3 recorder, and usually straining my neck....After a year of that the phones were fine but the jack on the MP3 recorder was damaged....

I believe they discontinued them a couple of years back...It would seem they were supplanted by a newer model with a sturdier cup swivel and headband....If that model is the same sonically and better mechanically then they are probably worth owning. I plan to try the new version when my elderly current pair dies*.

*It's north of 4 years old (I can't even remember when I got it), both failure points have been reached and fixed/ignored acceptably (albeit not as good as new), and some failures in the headband structure are also becoming apparent, but the cable and speakers are still good as new so I've been nursing them along as long as they will last.

jr_tech 03-28-2016 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dubis7 (Post 3158943)
I'm not seeing that the Grado headphones have detachable cords, though. Even if they offer a service option, I'd prefer to have something where, when the cord inevitably breaks, I can swap it out on the fly.

Please note... when I described the cord on the Sony 7056 and V600 headphon s as "easily replaceable" I did not mean to imply that the operation is a simple on the fly plug-in... The left earpiece must be disassembled to install the new cord. I don't remember offhand, but I think some careful soldering is involved. Sorry for any confusion I may have generated.

EM... Amazon still lists stock on the MDR V150 cans, still a good bargain at around 30$.

jr

Dubis7 03-28-2016 04:23 PM

I ended up picking up some Sennheiser HD 280s. They seem to fit all my major points, and weren't too expensive.