Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums

Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums (http://www.videokarma.org/index.php)
-   Transistor Radio (http://www.videokarma.org/forumdisplay.php?f=79)
-   -   Transistor Sister scores "gem" on Ebay! (http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=17354)

Paula 04-15-2004 01:47 AM

Transistor Sister scores "gem" on Ebay!

1 Attachment(s)
Well, I don't think that it has any tubes, and I'm told that Eveready has already stopped making the batteries that it uses, but it it still a good radio.

Paula

heathkit tv 04-15-2004 02:19 AM

Transistor Sister? Reminds me......what did they call the transsexual Nun?

Yep, you fingered it out, a TranSister! Yuck yuck yuck. :stupid:

Don't feel bad about paying as much as you did for that radio, it's all about rarity and condition. It may be a long time till you find another radio like that and it surely won't be in as nice a shape.

Strike while the iron is hot! You done good. :thmbsp:

So you're a Hoosier now, eh? Anywhere near South Bent? I'm cracked on them there Studebakers! (and cracked in most every other way too)

Anthony

RocknRoll 04-15-2004 02:38 AM

I guess if you got the inflation calculator out the price is about the same as it was when new (you just happen to have the money for it now). :yippy:

Sandy G 04-15-2004 08:04 AM

Paula- Don't sweat it. You done good. You've wanted this little guy for a long time, right? And $130 is a lot of money in one sense, but in the overall scheme of things, it's not even a drop in the bucket. I'm still kicking myself for not getting a genuine Belgian FAL rifle back in '89 because at $700, it was "too high". Now, they're banned-Gasp! Horrors!!- & no longer imported, you basically can't touch one for 3X that amount, if you can find one at all. -Sandy G.

Shain 04-15-2004 08:09 AM

I still have a Hitachi 6 (or 8) transister radio I got when I was in the 8th grade, and it still works!

I wish I could find a real nice original like it. So I do understand!

Lefty 04-15-2004 08:22 AM

Nice score.. you owed it for history sake..:D

I remember the era well, all those catalogs, BA, Layfette, heathkit, allied, newark.. And my allowance was like $1 a week :(

By the way... "vintage wireless receivers" .. so that like excludes you collecting 'wired' receivers? haven't heard of them, they get better reception? :p:

Lefty

Paula 04-15-2004 09:12 AM

Quote:

So you're a Hoosier now, eh? Anywhere near South Bent?
South Bent is waaay to the north of where I live.

Paula

Celt 04-15-2004 09:38 AM

Wow Paula, that radio looks mint! I remember those from the B-A catalog too. I think those used a 9 volt battery that was about the size of a AA cell.

jstout66 04-15-2004 09:50 AM

if they use that battery (9V shaped like a AA) they are still available at Radio Shack! Good Luck!

Paula 04-15-2004 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Sandy G
I'm still kicking myself for not getting a genuine Belgian FAL rifle back in '89...
Me too.

Celt 04-15-2004 10:24 AM

When I was five years old, the owner of the local Coca-Cola bottling plant gave me a set of Coca-Cola pencils, a Coke metal outdoor thermometer and a small plastic Coke bottle that opened up to reveal a cigarette lighter! Thankfully, my Mom promptly put these away and saved them for me until I was older and wiser. I am proud to say I still have them all and they are in mint condition! BTW: When I was a kid, it wasn't me who took apart my radios and records players. I had two older brothers who did that for me. However, it was always up to me to get them back together and in running order. I lost count of how many replacement 4" alnico speakers, 50C5, 6BQ5 output tubes and 35W4 rectifiers I bought as a result of all that. :rolleyes: (BTW: Nothing smells worse than a selenium rectifier going bad!)

Paula 04-15-2004 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by CELT
Thankfully, my Mom promptly put these away and saved them for me until I was older and wiser. I am proud to say I still have them all and they are in mint condition!
Good for you, Celt!

Paula 04-15-2004 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by jstout66
if they use that battery (9V shaped like a AA) they are still available at Radio Shack! Good Luck!
I don't see it as a problem, as this radio will be mainly for show.

Paula

Celt 04-15-2004 11:32 AM

Just thought of something...you just purchased what at the time was "The World's Tiniest Radio". When I was a kid, I owned what was "The World's Tinniest Radio"! :D

Sandy G 04-15-2004 12:22 PM

Sinclair ! Dino the Dinosaur ! Oh, man !! My family & I went to the NY World's Fair in '64, & I remember the Sinclair people had a booth where they'd blow this piece of green goop up into a Dino & give it to the kiddies. I was 7, & right in the middle of a serious "dinosaur phase"- seems like I bawled my way into 2 or 3 of 'em. Wonder if there are any left now? I also remember seeing myself on a RCA roundie in the Disney pavilion, I think, in Living Color, except my & everybody else's face was kinda purplish. -Sandy G.