Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums

Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums (http://www.videokarma.org/index.php)
-   Flat Panels & Digital Format (http://www.videokarma.org/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   Vizio M420SV (http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=269995)

kf4rca 01-15-2018 08:05 AM

Vizio M420SV

Anybody know anything about a Vizio M420SV? Picked up one from the roadside since nobody else did. Its an LED type. Has a strange design on it when it powers up. Screen seems to be intact. Haven't really gotten into it otherwise.

CoogarXR 01-15-2018 10:36 AM

"Has a strange design on it when it powers up" - Sounds like the screen may be cracked. How about a pic?

They can look fine when powered off and still be cracked.

kf4rca 01-21-2018 01:40 PM

Its a burn!

2 Attachment(s)
I didn't think LED sets could do that. Looks like freckles on peoples faces.

MadMan 01-21-2018 01:49 PM

That's probably because it's not an LED screen, it's an LCD screen with an LED backlight. It's probably had water get into it. But if it's working fine other than the funny spots, you should be able to take the screen apart, clean the water marks, and reassemble for a nice working tv.

kf4rca 01-21-2018 02:08 PM

Its and LCD screen with LED sidelights. I noticed some arrow burns near the bottom. I can dissassemble it. I'v done that on a 14 inch computer monitor before and it came out well.
I admit it looks like water but I don't see how it can get in.

MadMan 01-21-2018 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kf4rca (Post 3195190)
I admit it looks like water but I don't see how it can get in.

You'd be surprised.

Eric H 01-21-2018 02:44 PM

Do the spots
Move around if you push gently on the screen? That would indicate liquid water is still in there, if not then it’s probably stains.

mstaton 01-21-2018 09:58 PM

May be bad diffusers behind the LCD screen. Had a Sharp european TV that had one. I removed the offending part and it was fine minus one sheet. If it is water in there, That screen wont last long if the water got into the tab bond area and the set is run for any length of time.

CoogarXR 01-22-2018 07:27 AM

Yeah, as others have mentioned, that's water between the panel and diffuser sheets. I've seen it several times on store-returned sets I used to work on. I don't know how it got there. Maybe it was in a flood? Maybe it sat outside on the curb with the trash? LOL, who knows. But that's what it is.

kf4rca 01-23-2018 08:11 AM

I sure hope it's water and not windex or something else. The previous owner must have tried to clean the screen. I don't think it got wet during the time it was on the roadside.
It doesn't smell, so I don't think it's cat pee. I'll pull it apart and report back.

Celt 01-23-2018 08:48 AM

A cat sneezed on it. :D

kf4rca 01-24-2018 08:09 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Its water. Apparently it sat outside in the rain before it was hauled to the street.

dishdude 01-24-2018 11:40 AM

Odd that someone would leave a fully functioning LCD outside, let alone in the rain.

Celt 01-24-2018 01:51 PM

Hell, once while out walking Yeller I found a perfectly good student guitar and a like new Sony AM/FM radio. People will throw out all sorts of things.

Jeffhs 01-24-2018 07:00 PM

Some folks will throw out perfectly good items if they have no use for them, or if they want to get them out of the house in a hurry. I admit having done just that with a 6-foot-high shelf unit and an entertainment center cabinet I had used at my former home; the reason I just put them out for the trash was that I simply had no room for either item in my apartment (I had just moved here) and I didn't want to wait to find someone to take them off my hands. I also did this with my 22-year-old (at the time, year 2000) Zenith 12-inch solid-state b&w portable TV, which was still making an excellent picture and had a very strong CRT at the time. Someone may have found the set and put it to good use shortly after I put it by the trash barrels for the apartment building, as I noticed it was gone the next day.

BTW, I was glad to read that the problem with the Vizio HDTV was just water that somehow got into the screen, between the safety glass and the LCD panel itself; now you have a fully functional HDTV. It was also good that the set was rescued from the rain before it became too soaked; otherwise, the motherboard and other PC boards inside the set may have been ruined. The speaker cones may have been warped, unless they are of the type that uses some other material for the cones. The speakers weren't mentioned here, however, so they probably escaped serious damage.

FWIW, I wouldn't have been concerned about the condition of the speakers, even if they did suffer warped cones or other damage. Most HDTVs have small transistor-radio speakers anyway, which do not do justice to the set's MTS stereo decoder and other parts of the audio system. I would just connect a pair of amplified speakers to the set's headphone jack, or connect the TV's audio directly to an external audio system.