Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums

Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums (http://www.videokarma.org/index.php)
-   Early B&W and Projection TV (http://www.videokarma.org/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Philco Television Model 53-T2262 (http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=255655)

maddix2011 09-22-2012 12:23 AM

Philco Television Model 53-T2262

4 Attachment(s)
Can anyone Tell me what the value of this tv is before i try to go and sell it and cut myself short? I'm new to this and would like a rough estimation on where to start. Attachment 176271

Attachment 176272

Attachment 176273

Attachment 176274

These are a few pics i took...
So basically what its worth and maybe where i could sell it..:D

zenithfan1 09-22-2012 12:52 AM

It's about a 1953 model, and is worth about 75 to a 100 bucks, give or take, to the right buyer if it has a strong CRT. That is, however, the prettiest cabinet that I've seen for that set.. I have one very similar in a printed finish cabinet that WAS beautiful and then started peeling in storage....:tears:

Charlie 09-22-2012 06:39 AM

The tube diagram shows it using a 21EP4 CRT. I've heard others mention this tube is often weak. So far, I've dealt with this tube in four sets (Sylvania, Maggie, and two Philco's)... out of the four, only one was good (the Sylvania). If I'm not mistaken, there is no substitute for this tube due to the shape of the front.

If you can get a CRT tester on that tube and prove it is indeed good, you'll have a better chance at selling the set.

Electronic M 09-22-2012 11:53 AM

I paid 10$ for my 1952 Philco split chassis set granted the cabinet has some sizable blemishes, and the CRT base was damaged when I got it(making the CRT condition a gamble). I've been trying to GIVE mine away with little luck, and I put in a considerable sum worth of capacitors to make it work properly.

bgadow 09-22-2012 09:56 PM

You will find that prices are all over the board. These are still being tossed in dumpsters every single day of the year because there is so little demand. The range really does go from $0-100. I have had a number of similiar sets given to me. I would say if you could get $25 you should be happy; anything above that is a real bonus. Now, were it working (meaning, with all new capacitors) and had a known good picture tube, it is naturally going to be more desirable. That said, the last couple times I went to sell a fully recapped and working mid-50s black & white console I struggled to find $20.

Tubejunke 09-23-2012 01:02 AM

Yep! It seems like the great 50s sets are never going to get the respect they deserve! I've said it before; they are better looking, better performing, and more practical for use than most of the dumpy 40s sets that command decent prices, or if nothing else will not normally end up in a dumpster!

Eric H 09-23-2012 01:54 AM

I think $100 would be top dollar for that set and I doubt there are many people on this Forum who would give that for it.

The missing knob and tube are minor issues, (I may have the knob) easily replaced, but if the CRT is bad you basically have a $10 parts set because it's often difficult to find a good CRT and more expensive than the set's value.

Not trying to be mean about it but the fact is you can often find a nice mid 50's set needing little more than a recap for less than $100, if major parts are bad then it becomes a labor of love to save one, though many of us have done just that.

I gave $60 for this Philco just to keep it out of the hands of the "Re-Purposers" a.k.a many other names around here) the fact that it was in fabulous condition didn't hurt any either. :yes:
http://www.vintagetvsets.com/images/philcof1.jpg

Charlie 09-23-2012 02:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric H (Post 3048861)
I gave $60 for this Philco just to keep it out of the hands of the "Re-Purposers" a.k.a many other names around here) the fact that it was in fabulous condition didn't hurt any either. :yes:

Ahhh... yes... I remember your Philco photo, Eric. I always thought that was a nice set... especially with that clock and cat on it. Didn't you need a CRT for yours?

I have one of those split-chassis Philcos in the garage. It's in decent shape... not near as pretty as Eric's. It needs the 21EP4 replaced.

Philco must have sold a ton of these sets. They do indeed show up quite often. The man I got my CTC9 from recently has one in Houston. It doesn't play... he just wanted it for the looks and told me he'd call if he decided to get rid of it.

Eric H 09-23-2012 02:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charlie (Post 3048863)
Ahhh... yes... I remember your Philco photo, Eric. I always thought that was a nice set... especially with that clock and cat on it. Didn't you need a CRT for yours?

Hi Charlie, yes I did and I got a NOS one from the Uncle of one of our members, can't recall which one but i think it was Charles? (correct me if i'm wrong please)