Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums

Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums (http://www.videokarma.org/index.php)
-   Solid State CRT Televisions (http://www.videokarma.org/forumdisplay.php?f=184)
-   -   flat chassis Zenith in a chrome cabinet! (http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=267184)

Adam 06-10-2016 01:31 PM

flat chassis Zenith in a chrome cabinet!

1 Attachment(s)
I just brought it home. I would bet it works, but I haven't even tried it yet. A 1974 model, 25EC58 chassis, SC600 -

It came with what I think is the original stand and 3 remotes. The one on the left, the SC600Z with the orange on/off button is probably the original, the SC600Z with the white button is newer, and then the one on the right, the SC600X is older. I looked around for other Zeniths those might go to, but this was the only TV there. I also picked up that little Zenith 'Royal 300' transistor radio.

This has been a good summer for estate sale finds in the Detroit area. Those 1961 Zenith consoles (the SC400 B&W and the console stereo), were also estate sale finds ('Captainmoody' found them at a sale, and I got them from him). This was at an estate sale on a small island SE of Detroit. You could see Canada across the water from the front yard of the house. I got there at 9:30 (when it opened at 10) and there was already a big line out front of the house. And they only let in a few people at a time, so it wasn't until 10:30 that I got inside. The TV was upstairs, so I had to carry it down the stairs. I took a couple pictures of the sale, if I can figure out how to post them from my phone, I will.

Jeffhs 06-10-2016 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 3164372)
I just brought it home. I would bet it works, but I haven't even tried it yet. A 1974 model, 25EC58 chassis, SC600 -

It came with what I think is the original stand and 3 remotes. The one on the left, the SC600Z with the orange on/off button is probably the original, the SC600Z with the white button is newer, and then the one on the right, the SC600X is older. I looked around for other Zeniths those might go to, but this was the only TV there. I also picked up that little Zenith 'Royal 300' transistor radio.

This has been a good summer for estate sale finds in the Detroit area. Those 1961 Zenith consoles (the SC400 B&W and the console stereo), were also estate sale finds ('Captainmoody' found them at a sale, and I got them from him). This was at an estate sale on a small island SE of Detroit. You could see Canada across the water from the front yard of the house. I got there at 9:30 (when it opened at 10) and there was already a big line out front of the house. And they only let in a few people at a time, so it wasn't until 10:30 that I got inside. The TV was upstairs, so I had to carry it down the stairs. I took a couple pictures of the sale, if I can figure out how to post them from my phone, I will.

Yours is the first Zenith TV in a chrome cabinet I have ever seen or even heard of, which leads me to believe it was a limited-edition model when it was new. Most if not all other Zenith televisions I've seen have been in vinyl-clad metal cabinets, black ones or plastic. (I had a Zenith 19" portable in the late '70s with a woodgrained top, sides, and speaker grille, but the rest of the cabinet was plastic; I had another Zenith portable after that with a solid black plastic cabinet.) I wonder if your set was one of the higher-end Zeniths, perhaps a step above the Avanti consoles. But why three (!) remotes? :scratch2:

Adam 06-10-2016 02:28 PM

I've found the vinyl covered metal cabinets to be rarer than the ones that are just painted metal, or the fake woodgrain metal. Of the metal cabinet Zeniths I've had: 4 b/w painted metal, 4 b/w 'wood' metal, 2 b/w vinyl covered metal, 1 color painted, 1 color 'wood' metal, and this chrome one.

My guess about the remotes is that they had two other remote Zeniths at one time (at least one other one - because why else would they have had the older SC600X remote). Or maybe they still had them stashed away in the basement or garage, which weren't open for the sale.

Adam 06-10-2016 02:52 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Pic from out front of the house

Adam 06-10-2016 02:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Across the street. I didn't get any from inside the house… And this phone is only letting me put one picture per post.

Electronic M 06-10-2016 03:38 PM

Ooh, wow! You found the "Penthouse" (IIRC) model. There was an ad or review of them in Playboy that got discussed on here a few years back.

If you ever want to sell it or trade, PM me. I'd happily swap 3 of my CCIIs and or some other stuff for that.

Adam 06-10-2016 03:50 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I remember that discussion, I searched for it, but couldn't find it. But I think the model was called 'the Avalon.' Some pics from inside the set…

It's nice to see that those notoriously bad white capacitors (and I think the tripler) were replaced, but somebody did a crappy job of soldering the new ones in - one of them is barely tacked on there. Otherwise it looks clean inside, just dusty.

TUD1 06-10-2016 04:46 PM

NICE! :thmbsp: I'd pay up to get a Zenith like that. I've been wanting a Space Command set for a LONG time now.

Adam 06-10-2016 05:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
As expected it works good. The only thing I noticed wrong with it is that the on/off button on the remote only works if I hold it right up to the microphone, probably something I can fix with alignment.

zeno 06-10-2016 05:53 PM

This is a great find ! We sold a lot of Zenith but this
& the Avanti combos never. A very rare set. Only thing
rarer is a special model for IIRC Hilton hotels in NYC
about this time. Probably a run off 1000.

73 Zeno:smoke:

Adam 06-10-2016 08:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
At first I was going to wait until Saturday to go get this, but when I looked closely at the pic and saw that it was a chrome cabinet I rushed out early this morning. The other one I've always liked from this era that seems rare is that version of the Avanti with the sliding doors. I poked around online and found this ad, which shows the '73 version of both the chrome set and the Avanti.

Electronic M 06-10-2016 09:46 PM

I've got an Avanti identical to the one in the ad, and while it does have a door (for the controls) I can tell you that it is hinged, and not a slide door.

Adam 06-10-2016 10:10 PM

I wasn't talking about the one in the ad, there's a Avanti-like Zenith that uses the same plastic base, but the sides of the cabinet are not painted white like the Avanti, and it has sliding wood doors on each side which roll into back into the cabinet and pull out and cover the whole front of the set.

zeno 06-11-2016 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 3164422)
I wasn't talking about the one in the ad, there's a Avanti-like Zenith that uses the same plastic base, but the sides of the cabinet are not painted white like the Avanti, and it has sliding wood doors on each side which roll into back into the cabinet and pull out and cover the whole front of the set.

There has been one on Ebay but cabinet only. Wanted 2 yards for it IIRC.
If he hadnt gutted it it would have sold.

zeno 06-11-2016 08:38 AM

Looked it up.

SE2560X the Windermere. orange SC600Z remote.

"Created for ultra modern life styles, this unique table
model shown above, is for the select few who dare to
be different. All metal cabinet with highly polished
chrome all around, on sides & top. Silver colored back.
Also available in grained American walnut all metal
cabinet (SE2560W) not shown. Control panel & grill
area in sharply contrasting ebony color."