Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums

Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums (http://www.videokarma.org/index.php)
-   Transistor Radio (http://www.videokarma.org/forumdisplay.php?f=79)
-   -   RCA Superadio. (http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=265773)

dieseljeep 11-26-2015 01:01 PM

RCA Superadio.

Yesterday was seniors day at the GW.
They has an RCA Superadio, which is the same as the GE version. It's probably the last production, using the varactor, voltage controlled tuning method. It uses a pot instead of the three gang tuning condenser.

dieseljeep 11-26-2015 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dieseljeep (Post 3149826)
Yesterday was seniors day at the GW.
They has an RCA Superadio, which is the same as the GE version. It's probably the last production, using the varactor, voltage controlled tuning method. It uses a pot instead of the three gang tuning condenser.

I was trying to remove this entry, as I didn't finish it.
My 17.5 year old kitten jumped on the keyboard and somehow submitted it.
Anyway, I tried the radio and all I could hear is the tweeter. I bought it for $1.63 with my discount.
Disassembled it and it turns out the voice coil is open in the bass speaker.
I'll dig up a speaker from a cheap stereo, so no problem. This is the second one with this circuit that sounds like it has a decoupling problem, whistling on the AM band when tuning in a station.
I'll have to see if I can get a schematic from the internet. :scratch2:

Electronic M 11-26-2015 09:48 PM

There should be an edit button next to the quote button that would allow you to edit your post....

Findm-Keepm 11-26-2015 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dieseljeep (Post 3149855)
I'll have to see if I can get a schematic from the internet. :scratch2:

or, Post the model number of the unit and see if someone here has it.....

I have yet to see a Sams entry for RCA Superadio - funny how they (sams) only reference model numbers and chassis numbers.....

dieseljeep 11-26-2015 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Findm-Keepm (Post 3149870)
or, Post the model number of the unit and see if someone here has it.....

I have yet to see a Sams entry for RCA Superadio - funny how they (sams) only reference model numbers and chassis numbers.....

I found the schematic! I'll look into the problem a little later.

dieseljeep 11-26-2015 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Electronic M (Post 3149862)
There should be an edit button next to the quote button that would allow you to edit your post....

I hit the button and in didn't seem to do much. I know, I used it before and it worked.

Findm-Keepm 11-26-2015 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dieseljeep (Post 3149877)
I found the schematic! I'll look into the problem a little later.

My point is - there may be someone here that has the same radio, same problem, or a suggested solution, but with no model number, no photos, there is seemingly no reason for the thread. Hundreds of members with tons of literature, experience and patience, and nothing to go on for a possible assist.

dieseljeep 11-27-2015 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Findm-Keepm (Post 3149880)
My point is - there may be someone here that has the same radio, same problem, or a suggested solution, but with no model number, no photos, there is seemingly no reason for the thread. Hundreds of members with tons of literature, experience and patience, and nothing to go on for a possible assist.

There is a regular website for the three generations of GE/RCA superadios.
The only schematic shown is for the newest model, the one I'm working on.
The GE model is 7-2887A.
The website mentions alignment, but this problem came along a few years after purchase. This is the one, I bought new.
This other one in question, is one I just picked up. I was surprised to see it had the same problem, beside the speaker. :thumbsdn:

wa2ise 11-27-2015 12:46 PM

There may be a coupling cap between the audio amp and the speaker, which may have gone shorted. That would burn the voice coil, ruining the speaker.

dieseljeep 11-27-2015 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wa2ise (Post 3149915)
There may be a coupling cap between the audio amp and the speaker, which may have gone shorted. That would burn the voice coil, ruining the speaker.

According to the schematic, there is a 470mfd@16v 'lytic coupling cap.
I have a lot of studying to do. The circuitry is a little wild. :sigh: