Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums

Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums (http://www.videokarma.org/index.php)
-   Recorded Video (http://www.videokarma.org/forumdisplay.php?f=173)
-   -   Rca vkt300 (http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=269189)

Adam 06-19-2017 09:35 PM

Rca vkt300

2 Attachment(s)
This was my latest thrift store find. It ate the first tape I put in it. You can see why in the pic which shows the belts. I replaced all the belts (and the idler tire - which was ok but there was a new one in my belt kit so I replaced it anyway).

When I put a tape in after I changed the belts it played fine, but the picture was not so great - like the tracking was way off. After running for a few minutes it started to improve some. I then cleaned the head with alcohol and q-tips. There was nothing visibly on the head, and I'm always hearing about guys ruining their heads in the process of cleaning them, so I didn't do too much. I tried play again and got the picture you see below (that's a b/w tv). I still occasionally see some lines across the screen, but it's mostly fixed.

Does anyone know what the remote that goes with this model looks like? I didn't think this used a remote when I got it, but I noticed a remote sensor when I was working on it, so I'd like to get one.

TUD1 07-01-2017 08:30 PM

Just scored a VKT300 at a thrift shop today for only $10. In typical Hitachi fashion, the belts are completely gloopified. I'll be getting belts and an idler tire for it soon from Studio Sound Electronics.

Adam 07-01-2017 09:35 PM

It always gets me how cheap VCRs are now, I wonder if VCR collecting will ever gain much of a following and the prices will go up. I find myself getting more interested in VCRs lately.

Did you get the remote with yours? I'm still trying to figure out what it looks like.

TUD1 07-02-2017 12:47 AM

I didn't get the remote, but this is what it looks like.

mgross0 07-02-2017 06:37 PM

As far as I know, all of the VKT series machines used the same remote. You can use a newer Hitachi remote in a pinch, and they are much easier to find. The Hitachi VT-RM260A should work just fine, and be readily available. I have a new in box VKT700 that I just recently decided to get running. Awesome machines.

waltchan 07-22-2017 04:11 AM

RCA VKT300 is the same VCR model that actor George Clooney once owned in 1984-1999. Then it went to auction where I bought it, and I resold it for $150 in 2011. The VCR picture is mines that I took.

http://www.eonline.com/news/170337/s...r-can-be-yours

TUD1 11-20-2017 04:40 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Replaced the belts in my VKT300 today. Didn't have a new tire, but some alcohol made it usable again. The belt for the counter that comes off the takup reel had turned into a disgusting sticky mess, and I had to sit for about an hour with alcohol and q tips to get it clean. There was goo all over the tire and both reel tables. I finally got it going, but the audio is extremely poor. Also has the poor tracking issue that Adam's machine had. It cleared up after a few minutes.

Blast 12-17-2017 07:33 PM

The audio AND the tracking cleared up? Good.

If one is still poor use Windex on the Audio/Control track head, then follow up immediately with your regular head cleaning fluid.

djfivos 12-25-2017 02:30 PM

This looks like a Hitachi VT-33 rebadge. Melting belts is very common on these Hitachi's. My portable VT-8E was suffering from the same issue.

dieseljeep 12-31-2017 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 3186260)
It always gets me how cheap VCRs are now, I wonder if VCR collecting will ever gain much of a following and the prices will go up. I find myself getting more interested in VCRs lately.

Did you get the remote with yours? I'm still trying to figure out what it looks like.

I can even count have many VCR's that are in my possession.
Freebees, dollar items etc.
I never was too crazy about the Hitachi and their re-badges. Late 90's Panasonics were a disappointment as well. I never really had any luck with the Samsung-built GE's and RCA's. I don't even want to think about Fishers. :thumbsdn: