Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums

Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums (http://www.videokarma.org/index.php)
-   Antique Radio (http://www.videokarma.org/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   '39 Motorola "Picnic" portable (http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=271102)

dieseljeep 12-04-2018 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by decojoe67 (Post 3206353)
Aha! I noticed that on some sets. Very clever. This thread is really revealing a lot about these portables!

My favorite lugables are the Emerson models 505 & 523 post-war or the pre-war FU424. These were 3 way portables That had the elegant design of having a higher power output stage for use on the AC-DC mains, 1 watt vs 250-300mw on batteries. They designed the tricky way running the battery tube filaments from the cathode of the line audio output tube. Some models used a 50B5 and 35W4 and others used a 117N7, combination penthode and rectifier
A few other firms built a variation of same.
They sounded a lot better than the others that ran the battery output tube when using it on AC or DC.

decojoe67 12-04-2018 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dieseljeep (Post 3206362)
My favorite lugables are the Emerson models 505 & 523 post-war or the pre-war FU424. These were 3 way portables That had the elegant design of having a higher power output stage for use on the AC-DC mains, 1 watt vs 250-300mw on batteries. They designed the tricky way running the battery tube filaments from the cathode of the line audio output tube. Some models used a 50B5 and 35W4 and others used a 117N7, combination penthode and rectifier
A few other firms built a variation of same.
They sounded a lot better than the others that ran the battery output tube when using it on AC or DC.

I personally try to stay focused with these and stick to the battery-only models with the airplane-luggage covering. As time went on they lost the simplicity of the early models with busy metal and plastic grills.

maxhifi 12-04-2018 01:58 PM

3 Attachment(s)
This western air patrol has been in my collection for about 25 years. I really like the simplicity of the design, and the proportions of the cabinet. I ran it off 9 volt batteries in series for the B cell, and a couple of Ds for the A cell. It worked nice, I should try it again some time.

http://videokarma.org/attachment.php...0&d=1543953472

decojoe67 12-04-2018 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxhifi (Post 3206373)
This western air patrol has been in my collection for about 25 years. I really like the simplicity of the design, and the proportions of the cabinet. I ran it off 9 volt batteries in series for the B cell, and a couple of Ds for the A cell. It worked nice, I should try it again some time.

http://videokarma.org/attachment.php...0&d=1543953472

Thanks for the pics. You have a real gem there and rather rare one, especially in that condition. The decorative grill trim was a very nice touch. If I may give you a tip for the frayed threads - put a little dab of CLEAR Elmer's glue on your finger tip and smooth the threads down. It works great and neatens-up the cabinet.

maxhifi 12-04-2018 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by decojoe67 (Post 3206381)
Thanks for the pics. You have a real gem there and rather rare one, especially in that condition. The decorative grill trim was a very nice touch. If I may give you a tip for the frayed threads - put a little dab of CLEAR Elmer's glue on your finger tip and smooth the threads down. It works great and neatens-up the cabinet.

Hey that's a great tip, thank you! I don't usually go for battery radios, but this one is quite attractive looking. It's also kind of unusual to find a US market set of this age in Canada.

decojoe67 12-05-2018 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxhifi (Post 3206388)
Hey that's a great tip, thank you! I don't usually go for battery radios, but this one is quite attractive looking. It's also kind of unusual to find a US market set of this age in Canada.

You're welcome. Just put a dab of glue on your finger, not a big glob. It seems these sets are very addicting once you get a good one and see how well it plays. The bargain prices make them very enticing too. I'm up to 7 so far!

maxhifi 12-05-2018 09:24 AM

That's easy enough to do! I'm not really actively collecting radios right now, but they do tend to find me from time to time. I do like the complete absence of hum with battery portables. The one battery set I'd really like to get my hands on is the R-100/URR morale radio from the second world war.

decojoe67 12-05-2018 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxhifi (Post 3206402)
That's easy enough to do! I'm not really actively collecting radios right now, but they do tend to find me from time to time. I do like the complete absence of hum with battery portables. The one battery set I'd really like to get my hands on is the R-100/URR morale radio from the second world war.

That "morale" radio is an interesting one. A nice war-time artifact. I keep saying that I'm not active in the hobby anymore because of display space, but I keep getting that "last one"!

Electronic M 12-05-2018 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by decojoe67 (Post 3206403)
That "morale" radio is an interesting one. A nice war-time artifact. I keep saying that I'm not active in the hobby anymore because of display space, but I keep getting that "last one"!

One solution is to sell stuff you like less... I always want something so when I run out of space I sell stuff I like less than what I want.

dieseljeep 12-05-2018 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by decojoe67 (Post 3206403)

Is that the big metal cabinet job that is both battery and AC/DC?
Most were made by Majestic and used
locktal and octal tubes. I have two and the backs are missing on both. :sigh:

decojoe67 12-05-2018 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dieseljeep (Post 3206406)

I just learned about them from maxhifi, but yes, that's the one. Very utilitarian, but an interesting WWII radio.

maxhifi 12-05-2018 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dieseljeep (Post 3206406)

That's the one! I like the looks and build quality of Mil spec stuff, plus, they actually played a role in defeating the bad guys.

mr_rye89 12-07-2018 07:19 PM

Not pre-war, but tubed and three-way powered.

Motorola 5A7A on my desk at work:

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4886/...0cfdca3a_z.jpg

My favorite tube portable at the moment :banana:

decojoe67 12-07-2018 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr_rye89 (Post 3206496)
Not pre-war, but tubed and three-way powered.

Motorola 5A7A on my desk at work:

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4886/...0cfdca3a_z.jpg

My favorite tube portable at the moment :banana:

Nice set. Very automotive dashboard looking!

PS - Tom - I agree that buying and selling is the only way to keep the hobby fluid, but I've gotten to a point where I either really like what I have, or the sets I would part with are of such menial value it wouldn't even be worth selling. I'm very surprised that collectors seemed to be turned off when you say "trade". I personally would love to swap an equal value set to have something different!

dieseljeep 12-08-2018 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by decojoe67 (Post 3206503)
Nice set. Very automotive dashboard looking!

PS - Tom - I agree that buying and selling is the only way to keep the hobby fluid, but I've gotten to a point where I either really like what I have, or the sets I would part with are of such menial value it wouldn't even be worth selling. I'm very surprised that collectors seemed to be turned off when you say "trade". I personally would love to swap an equal value set to have something different!

Motorola made several different models of the flip-cover portables, some battery only models.
Does yours state Motorola Inc or Galvin Mfg. Co.? That might the first model after they changed the corporate name. :scratch2: