Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums

Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums (http://www.videokarma.org/index.php)
-   Solid State CRT Televisions (http://www.videokarma.org/forumdisplay.php?f=184)
-   -   Anyone in Los Angeles want to work on Zenith Jailbar issue? (http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=270219)

TinCanAlley 03-06-2018 01:37 PM

Anyone in Los Angeles want to work on Zenith Jailbar issue?

1 Attachment(s)
If anyone in the L.A. area wants to tackle the Zenith jailbar problem, let me know. I really want to fix it on my Avante and have pretty much given up. I am willing to donate a working 19JC55Z unit with the same jailbar issue. You could diagnose it til your heart's content. Hopefully you'll be able to fix it as well and share the fix for others. You can keep the set as well.

Hopefully a fix on one model will be a fix on others as well. I know this issue can't be mine alone, so finding the offending circuit would be a plus for others.

If you're interested, let me know.

Thanks

TinCanAlley 04-06-2018 06:10 PM

Guess no one. Going to be sad scraping her, but it needs to go.

Electronic M 04-06-2018 06:42 PM

You're seriously going to scrap a Zenith Avanti just because it has jail bars?...Why not just set a c-note on fire while you are at it?

If your too mad at it to look at it just put it up on ebay and let one of the CA MCM furniture hipsters have it...They might just keep it intact long enough for it to make it into the hands of someone who will fix it.

zeno 04-07-2018 10:00 AM

Is this the set we tried to fix abt a year ago ?
Whats the chassis ?

IIRC Shango lives in LA. Maybe he can help you or knows someone.

73 Zeno:smoke:
LFOD !

mrjukebox160 04-07-2018 04:12 PM

!0uf 250 volt cap on the CRT board

TinCanAlley 04-20-2018 10:01 PM

I have no room for it as I have my Avante (which has the same jailbar issue). I tried selling it, but it didn't go. Here in So Cal there aren't many places that will take it and certainly none that can fix it. I've had it for over 40 years, so my obligation to it is over if I no longer have a place or use for it.

I was hoping someone, local, would take it and be able to fix it and share the fix. Since two different chassis have the same issue, it has to be in the same circuit.

TinCanAlley 04-20-2018 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Electronic M (Post 3197904)
You're seriously going to scrap a Zenith Avanti just because it has jail bars?...Why not just set a c-note on fire while you are at it?

If your too mad at it to look at it just put it up on ebay and let one of the CA MCM furniture hipsters have it...They might just keep it intact long enough for it to make it into the hands of someone who will fix it.

Not my Avante.

TinCanAlley 04-20-2018 10:10 PM

I posted a pic of the set in the first post. It is not my Avante. I am keeping that one, but it does have jailbars. It's the one in the pic I'm offering up to someone that wants to tackle the jailbar issue, and share any findings/fixes.

TinCanAlley 04-20-2018 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrjukebox160 (Post 3197941)
!0uf 250 volt cap on the CRT board

Is it an electrolytic? If so, then it has been changed. I recapped it day one.

zeno 04-21-2018 07:22 AM

Back in the 80's I had a flat chassis with this problem. Since it
was over 10 yrs old the customer took it back as a patch job.
IIRC it took five 22-5001 safety caps & a tripler. On flat chassii
the one common thing is those caps eating up triplers, dividers
& CRT sockets. Almost all triplers got subbed to ECG, SK etc & now
I wonder if they are the cause. Also the divider was different than
the common 800-816 used in hybrids but I have seen it subbed.
Its a common link.
Never seen them on a CC2 chassis & I worked 1000's of them.
The 10mfd cap is the common fail on 9-160 boards & the same fail
on all brands of TV, even some B&W's.
Since there have been a few other reports of this it would be nice
to find out what it is.

73 Zeno:smoke:
LFOD !