Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums

Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums (http://www.videokarma.org/index.php)
-   Vintage TV & Radio Tech Forum (http://www.videokarma.org/forumdisplay.php?f=170)
-   -   Sony Betamax SL 2000 repair (http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=268928)

fifties 04-28-2017 10:45 PM

Sony Betamax SL 2000 repair

I bought an SL 2000 off The Bay about two years ago, and it worked just fine.

Hadn't operated it since then, and when I went to use it the other day, although it would respond to the RCU command for power on and off, it wouldn't for play/stop/ff/rewind. They do work using the buttons on the unit.

Service manuals for it seem to be non-existent, except for one source who wanted about as much as I paid for the unit ($80).

Would anyone have knowledge on this type of problem? Obviously the IR path is clear, in that the power functions work, so I am guessing that the problem is downstream.

Doug 08-28-2017 08:41 PM

Maybe remote?.point the remote at your cell phone camera and push each button...I the infared led will flash on your camera.wesk batteries possible.
.if this remote is for tv also maybe switched for tv....

Findm-Keepm 08-28-2017 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fifties (Post 3183254)
I bought an SL 2000 off The Bay about two years ago, and it worked just fine.

Hadn't operated it since then, and when I went to use it the other day, although it would respond to the RCU command for power on and off, it wouldn't for play/stop/ff/rewind. They do work using the buttons on the unit.

Service manuals for it seem to be non-existent, except for one source who wanted about as much as I paid for the unit ($80).

Would anyone have knowledge on this type of problem? Obviously the IR path is clear, in that the power functions work, so I am guessing that the problem is downstream.

Lemme dig into my stash - I have a bunch of Sony Beta and U-Matic manuals, but it's late here, and my shop is in a detached garage, and a tropical storm is a 'comin, and well, you get the picture. If I have it, it's yours for postage.

Meanwhile, here's the only repair tips I have in my database...

fifties 08-28-2017 09:53 PM

Thx for the responses, gentlemen! I apologize for forgetting that I had started this thread, so allow me to summarize the conclusion.

About a month ago, I had occasion to go to my favorite electronic junk store, All Electronics. While browsing around their combination of new, used, surplus, etc. stock, I noticed two plastic bins of stuff priced at a dollar, and whattayaknow, one of them was this remote, simply minus it's battery cover.

So being the sporting type that I am, gambled the whole buck, brought it home, put in batteries, and voila, I had remote control function again! The battery cover came off the malfunctioning one and on to this unit.

I am SO glad that it wasn't a failure of a component inside the SL2000 itself.

Findm-Keepm 08-28-2017 11:06 PM

...takes off waders....:D

fifties 08-29-2017 01:30 AM

Lost me on that, findm...:saywhat:

Electronic M 08-29-2017 09:22 AM

Sometimes the conductive sensor pads on the PCB in the remote get dirty and some buttons die...Whenever that happens I usually take apart the remote (if it is possible to do so without destroying it), clean the board and the side of the rubber button sheet that touches it, reassemble and all is well again. An old Panasonic I was using the snot out of for time shifting/archiving a decade ago used to need a remote clean every ~6 months.

BTW Brian. I've got a couple of Sony Umatics that I'd be interested in having the service manuals for VO-1600 and VO-5600. I'm not in a hurry so no need to drag out the waders.

fifties 08-29-2017 10:27 AM

Good point on cleaning the the PCB push button contact areas, M, and I'm no stranger to having done that on other RCU's. Funny that I didn't think of it before, on this one. I guess the fact that the power button worked threw me off.
Also, I now get the "waders" remark lol. Gonna be 108° here again today, so mind's hardly on rain.

Findm-Keepm 08-29-2017 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fifties (Post 3188891)
Lost me on that, findm...:saywhat:

Twas raining cats and dogs here (tropical storm) and I had nothing to do, so...I was gonna go look in my shop for the manual and an Eico knob (for myself). We got several inches overnite - a good soakin'

fifties 08-29-2017 12:11 PM

You can send that rain down thisaway, lol.

Jon A. 08-29-2017 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Findm-Keepm (Post 3188882)
Lemme dig into my stash - I have a bunch of Sony Beta and U-Matic manuals, but it's late here, and my shop is in a detached garage, and a tropical storm is a 'comin, and well, you get the picture. If I have it, it's yours for postage.

Meanwhile, here's the only repair tips I have in my database...

Might there be JVC U-Matic manuals in there as well? My CP-5200U needs a lot of attention but I won't be able to get back to it for a while yet. It had a melted roller which I cleaned up; fortunately quite a few 8mm projectors use the same roller so they're readily available.

Findm-Keepm 08-29-2017 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon A. (Post 3188909)
Might there be JVC U-Matic manuals in there as well? My CP-5200U needs a lot of attention but I won't be able to get back to it for a while yet. It had a melted roller which I cleaned up; fortunately quite a few 8mm projectors use the same roller so they're readily available.

No, just a few Sony U-matics. Sadly two are supplements only. I don't have the OPs manual, and I didn't take stock of what I have.

Electronic M 08-29-2017 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Findm-Keepm (Post 3188915)
No, just a few Sony U-matics. Sadly two are supplements only. I don't have the OPs manual, and I didn't take stock of what I have.

Do you happen to have any Sony VO-1600 or VO-5600 umatic documentation?