Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums

Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums (http://www.videokarma.org/index.php)
-   Things with Motors (http://www.videokarma.org/forumdisplay.php?f=186)
-   -   P & M session (http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=271161)

zeno 12-18-2018 11:17 AM

Auto stop/start is big with Ford. I wouldnt have it. Always defaults on
unless you mod it or buy a kit. Ford says they have a better starter &
battery so no extra wear. Begs the question why not put the better
stuff in ALL the cars ?

With manuals I almost always started in 2nd. Only time for 1st was
when you were doing comparative driving or a smoke show. Another
feature lost on automatics is the D2 that skips 1st. In snow both my
Crown Vic & Roadmaster would just spin the tires in 1st the second
you let off the brakes.

Interesting thing on gearing. The Mt. Washington Auto Road uses
GMC vans as limos.
https://mtwashingtonautoroad.com/guided-tours
They are geared so you have to accelerate to go DOWN hill. Let off the gas
& you come to a stop.

73 Zeno:smoke:
LFOD !

mr_rye89 12-19-2018 05:04 PM

Kinda late here, But I have a 1990 Dodge w250 with an NP435 granny 4 (and likely 4:10 gears in the diffs) and I never take off out of first unless I'm ripping small trees out of the ground. 1st is like 6:1 or something ridiculous like that. It even says in the manual to take off out of second for normal driving.

I'm also not crazy about the old 4 speeds. my truck is at 3000rpm at 65mph in 4th.

Jon A. 12-19-2018 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zeno (Post 3206781)
when you were doing comparative driving or a smoke show.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr_rye89 (Post 3206803)
Kinda late here, But I have a 1990 Dodge w250 with an NP435 granny 4 (and likely 4:10 gears in the diffs) and I never take off out of first unless I'm ripping small trees out of the ground.

Whatever floats your gears blokes.

There's a series of videos on YouTube of a school bus that was refitted with a 5-speed main and a 4-speed auxiliary. The two guys I saw drive it took off in second/low except for when demonstrating granny low and later on pulling out a badly stuck 4x4.

A car we used to have had a really wide gap between third and fourth, the latter only being used at highway speeds. I suppose one's level of satisfaction with 4-speeds depends on whether or not fourth is an overdrive.

Early on when I was practicing on a manual, that particular car was tricky to get into low so I accidentally ended up in third a couple of times. Once I actually succeeded in taking off in third which really bogged down the engine as I had pulled onto an incline. Once I realized what happened I made the mistake of downshifting all the way into low; the engine roared and when I shifted back in second the tires screeched a bit, prompting a chuckle from the guy who owned the car. Nevertheless, even then I was better at driving a manual than Captain Kirk.

MadMan 12-20-2018 01:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dieseljeep (Post 3206778)
Regarding the Transmission fluid, certain 60's era Mopars with the Power-flite transmissions used the engine oil as the transmission fluid. :scratch2:

I know! I actually had a 54 or 53 Chrysler New Yorker in the shop once. Was the first model year for Chrysler's first actual automatic transmission (not counting the manual with a torque converter [although ironically, this transmission WAS a manual with a torque converter, just automatically shifted by a coffee-can-sized solenoid]). The service manual was with the car and I read up on the transmission. You had to change the engine and transmission oil altogether, because they shared the oil. Must've been an expensive oil change.

dieseljeep 12-20-2018 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zeno (Post 3206781)
Auto stop/start is big with Ford. I wouldnt have it. Always defaults on
unless you mod it or buy a kit. Ford says they have a better starter &
battery so no extra wear. Begs the question why not put the better
stuff in ALL the cars ?

when you were doing comparative driving or a smoke show. Another
feature lost on automatics is the D2 that skips 1st. In snow both my
Crown Vic & Roadmaster would just spin the tires in 1st the second
you let off the brakes.

Interesting thing on gearing. The Mt. Washington Auto Road uses
GMC vans as limos.
https://mtwashingtonautoroad.com/guided-tours
They are geared so you have to accelerate to go DOWN hill. Let off the gas
& you come to a stop.

LFOD !

My new to me 2017 Jeep Compass seems to act that way. The second you decelerate it seems to downshift, almost like you're braking. I guess it's easier on the brakes.
It also has what they refer to as "Autostick". You can go through the gears like a manual.

zeno 12-20-2018 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dieseljeep (Post 3206817)
My new to me 2017 Jeep Compass seems to act that way. The second you decelerate it seems to downshift, almost like you're braking. I guess it's easier on the brakes.
It also has what they refer to as "Autostick". You can go through the gears like a manual.

On the Auto Road you run 1st all the way up for cooling & all the way down for braking. There are some cars that cant stay in 1st & they wont let them up.
I was told once they used to do brakes every 2 weeks about 675 miles !
The new vans never need brakes, you only have to use them twice per trip.
Anyhows its abt 4000 feet up in 8 miles & really tests the cooling, brakes
& tranny. You can actually smell a car coming !

LFOD !