Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums

Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums (http://www.videokarma.org/index.php)
-   General Off Topic Forums (http://www.videokarma.org/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Why today's films (photographic and cinematographic) don't have... (http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=270165)

Telecolor 3007 02-19-2018 04:59 PM

Why today's films (photographic and cinematographic) don't have...

Why today's films (photographic and cinematographic) don't have the vivid coulorus of the old films? I'm talking about the image suport.

Celt 02-19-2018 05:02 PM

I know most don't have decent storylines...

old_tv_nut 02-19-2018 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Telecolor 3007 (Post 3196445)
Why today's films (photographic and cinematographic) don't have the vivid coulorus of the old films? I'm talking about the image suport.

This is a deep and complex subject relating to color reproduction and image tone scale. Technicolor used very high contrast prints to enhance the color saturation, along with careful control of scene contrast (at least in studio shots) to fit within the contrast range, which otherwise could have been clipped. For example, they might use light gray shirts instead of white so that they would not look fluorescent. This was toned down a bit when they shot natural outdoor scenes, but still it was high-contrast "calendar page" color.

Higher than realistic contrast is needed in any case for projection in a dark theater, or the pictures will look like they have not enough contrast, and seem washed out.

Presenting the same film on an electronic display in a dimly lit (but not completely dark) room requires somewhat less contrast, which also affects the appearance.

Finally, with all films going through electronic post-production these days, the "look" is adjusted to whatever the director wants, not necessarily matching the old Technicolor look at all.

MadMan 02-19-2018 10:46 PM

Well Technicolor actually had a lot of limitations, especially in its early days. So they did have to do a lot of things weird ways to make it look right on the screen.

Plus I imagine back in the day they really wanted to flaunt their colors over B/W, and that look probably became the norm that audiences simply expected, and likely that waned very slowly until we got what we got now: Fairly accurate color reproduction. It's realistic as hell, but therein lies the problem. The silver screen should be an escape from reality. Reality sucks.

dtvmcdonald 02-23-2018 10:46 AM

There really is one and only one answer today: artistic desire, and fashion.

kramden66 03-27-2018 08:06 PM

Never sat through it but saw battle scenes in 300 , colorless , might as well be monochrome and the slow motion sword until it hits and back to regular motion does very little for me