Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums

Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums (http://www.videokarma.org/index.php)
-   Transistor Radio (http://www.videokarma.org/forumdisplay.php?f=79)
-   -   Romanian radios for U.S.A. (http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=22008)

Telecolor 3007 07-26-2004 06:10 AM

Romanian radios for U.S.A.

I heard that Romania (country of "Dracula" & Ceausescu) exported tranzistors radio in U.S.A. (especeally radios with mechanichal alarm clocks) during the '70's and the '80's? Is that true?:dunno:

Sandy G 07-26-2004 06:53 AM

First off, Welcome to AK !! Nice to see there's "TV nuts" everywhere !! How did you find us? Anyhow, to answer your question I don't remember ever seeing radios or ANYTHING else made in Romania for sale over here then-just another lie Ceausescu told you. Too bad that rat bastard could only be killed once. Enjoy yr stay here-this is a GREAT bunch of guys-and gals- & I think you'll like it here. -Sandy G.

Brian 07-26-2004 11:30 AM

I think it along with all of the other then communist countries were trade embargoed into the US.

Telecolor 3007 07-26-2004 03:01 PM

@Sandy G. Seem you're pretty anti-Comunist. I found you by looking for RCA CTC-11. Well, i hrad a guy (who todays repairs tvs) and who worked at "Electronica" the same thing with the radios.
@Brian well, the glass instalion used at "Intreprinderea de Cinescoape (The Picture Tubes Plant)" from Bucharest was
Made in U.S.A.:uzi:

wa2ise 08-01-2004 10:49 PM

Quote:

I heard that Romania (country of "Dracula" & Ceausescu) exported tranzistors radio in U.S.A.
I don't remember seeing anything from Romania in the 70's and 80's except maybe some wine (and I'm a beer drinker anyway). Most transistor radios sold in the USA came from Japan, Taiwan, Hong Kong or Korea.

I've seen Romania spelled "Rumania" years ago.

Quote:

Seem you're pretty anti-Comunist.
We were all told about evil godless communism back in the 50's and 60's. :D

Especially if you went to a Catholic grammar school (aka elementary or primary school). "Communism is the most evil thing ever to happen in the world", it actually said in a history book I had in 4th grade. Also was told about the evils of bad English grammar. Though various friends and people I know who grew up in various communist countries all said that communism did suck...

Kamakiri 08-02-2004 06:39 AM

The only radios I know that came fromk Romania were under the name Welbilt, mostly those reproduction cathedral radios.....

Telecolor 3007 08-02-2004 11:16 AM

Oh, ya, a cathedral radio reproduction too. Here in Romania we colled it "radio cuc (coo-coo radios).
Romania was a Communsit country, but in the perido 65-83 was in very good relations with the West (we couldn't support the Soviets).

Sandy G 08-02-2004 11:31 AM

Yeah, ol' Nicolai & Nixon were buds, sort of. You'd thought a old cold warrior like Nixon wouldn't have warmed up to Ceaucescu, easily the most despotic of the Comecon despots, but he did. Ceausescu seemed to draw his influence from Hitler & Dracula. Most of the Russians & Comecon leaders had SOMETHING to like about them, albeit small, but Nicolai had absolutely NOTHING to redeem him. Even his wife was hateful. But boy, did they get theirs in the end. Couldn't have happened to a nicer couple....-Sandy G.