Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums

Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums (http://www.videokarma.org/index.php)
-   General Off Topic Forums (http://www.videokarma.org/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   The act of hidden features in TV's (http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=271426)

lnx64 03-07-2019 11:17 AM

The act of hidden features in TV's

So here's something I'm curious about. I have an SDTV here (digital, 2009 set with component input). It's badged as an SDTV, but it DOES accept 480p input, and displays it in progressive scan. So clearly it's an EDTV (Ironically the ATSC tuner spits out 480i, so that's really weird).

But how often did manufacturers do this? It seems like a wasted effort to claim something is less than it really is, considering how manufacturers like to lie about things and sell them as more than they really are.

dieseljeep 03-08-2019 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lnx64 (Post 3209226)
So here's something I'm curious about. I have an SDTV here (digital, 2009 set with component input). It's badged as an SDTV, but it DOES accept 480p input, and displays it in progressive scan. So clearly it's an EDTV (Ironically the ATSC tuner spits out 480i, so that's really weird).

But how often did manufacturers do this? It seems like a wasted effort to claim something is less than it really is, considering how manufacturers like to lie about things and sell them as more than they really are.

My RCA's and a few others are labeled the same! They have the same inputs but are labeled SDTV. They all have the ATSC tuner.
It's probably a G'ment thing like the screen sizes. In Canada, a 20" set is a 21", a 27" is a 28", etc. :sigh:

old_tv_nut 03-08-2019 11:33 AM

Since the spatial resolution of 480i and 480p are the same, it is likely the industry decided not to make the distinction in order to avoid legal and regulatory challenges. Accepting 480p does not necessarily mean it has the capability to convert 480i to 480p. Displaying 480i as 480i is better than doing a poor, cheap conversion job; that is probably why conversion is not included. On the other hand, conversion of 480p to 480i is very simple and cheap.

Robert Grant 03-10-2019 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lnx64 (Post 3209226)

The set you describe sounds like my first digital TV - Sylvania 6427GFF (actually a Funai product). In fact, the set in your icon looks like one. Mine sits unused in my daughter's bedroom.

I believe that its display/scanning system is limited to the 15750 (15734.nnn) line rate set by the needs of its flyback transformer. Flybacks are reasonant to a particular frequency. If the line rate were to be vastly different, the flyback could overheat.

Publications often made mention of EDTV as a format, for years between the earliest planning agreements (Grand Alliance) and the introduction of the first DTV products, more than a decade later ($5,000 plasma sets and Voom satellite HD service), but, once DTV sets actually became avaiable to the public, EDTV somehow never showed up to the party.

old_tv_nut 03-10-2019 05:36 PM

On a slight tangent: some TV sets that had two or more levels of features, like PIP and multi-PIP, actually were built with the hardware capable of the high level features, but it was disabled in firmware in the less expensive model. In some cases, if you knew the secret remote control code (may have required a special servicing remote), you could enable the high level features on a less expensive set.

lnx64 03-11-2019 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Grant (Post 3209305)
The set you describe sounds like my first digital TV - Sylvania 6427GFF (actually a Funai product). In fact, the set in your icon looks like one. Mine sits unused in my daughter's bedroom.

I believe that its display/scanning system is limited to the 15750 (15734.nnn) line rate set by the needs of its flyback transformer. Flybacks are reasonant to a particular frequency. If the line rate were to be vastly different, the flyback could overheat.

Publications often made mention of EDTV as a format, for years between the earliest planning agreements (Grand Alliance) and the introduction of the first DTV products, more than a decade later ($5,000 plasma sets and Voom satellite HD service), but, once DTV sets actually became avaiable to the public, EDTV somehow never showed up to the party.

The set in my avatar isn't the one in question, but I do think that TV is a Funai set. The one in question is this: https://i.imgur.com/XtzDB5j.jpg

It seems to handle both 480i and 480p with ease, no issues whatsoever. I mean when you go to 480p it does go "mirror image" horizontally, then goes black, comes back to a proper 480p image. And if you go from 480p to 480i it's like losing horizontal hold, goes black and comes back. It's weird to describe.

dieseljeep 03-12-2019 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lnx64 (Post 3209343)
The set in my avatar isn't the one in question, but I do think that TV is a Funai set. The one in question is this: https://i.imgur.com/XtzDB5j.jpg

It seems to handle both 480i and 480p with ease, no issues whatsoever. I mean when you go to 480p it does go "mirror image" horizontally, then goes black, comes back to a proper 480p image. And if you go from 480p to 480i it's like losing horizontal hold, goes black and comes back. It's weird to describe.

The one in the blown-up picture is the same RCA I have. :thmbsp:
It's a decent performer.