Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums

Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums (http://www.videokarma.org/index.php)
-   Rectangular Screen Tube Televisions (http://www.videokarma.org/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Who was the owner of this Zenith SC?? (http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=270299)

Kamakiri 04-02-2018 08:03 AM

Who was the owner of this Zenith SC??

2 Attachment(s)
I picked up this Zenith S-C 300 console in a mega trade deal among other sets. Haven't opened it up yet but I was told that it worked great. Did a slow variac on it, and sure enough it works fine (but will be getting some attention before getting used).

Now, on the picture with it powered up, notice that little red LED in the bottom left corner by the remote sensor? I swear that I remember something from an ancient thread or something somewhere, where someone had done a modification of this type.

Pretty sure that this set had to have belonged to one of you guys, and now it made its way to Buffalo. Anyone remember anything about this?

dieseljeep 04-02-2018 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kamakiri (Post 3197731)
I picked up this Zenith S-C 300 console in a mega trade deal among other sets. Haven't opened it up yet but I was told that it worked great. Did a slow variac on it, and sure enough it works fine (but will be getting some attention before getting used).

Now, on the picture with it powered up, notice that little red LED in the bottom left corner by the remote sensor? I swear that I remember something from an ancient thread or something somewhere, where someone had done a modification of this type.

Pretty sure that this set had to have belonged to one of you guys, and now it made its way to Buffalo. Anyone remember anything about this?

IIRC, they came from the factory that way.
If you shut off the switch on the volume control, it also shuts off the S/C receiver. It indicates that the set is on standby.

WISCOJIM 04-02-2018 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dieseljeep (Post 3197734)
IIRC, they came from the factory that way.
If you shut off the switch on the volume control, it also shuts off the S/C receiver. It indicates that the set is on standby.

Doesn't that TV predate the availability of LEDs?

Kamakiri 04-02-2018 11:16 AM

Yeah, that can't be. If LEDs were available in the early 1960s they would have been in everything. LED's hadn't even made it to sci-fi at that point.

I really have to get the back off this thing and see what's in there. Lunchtime, so I'll just do that shortly.

benman94 04-02-2018 11:22 AM

The LED was invented in 1962 by Nick Holonyak. He was denied a Nobel Prize for the invention, and yet some Japanese team was given a Nobel for developing the derivative blue LED years later. Bunch of absolute horse shit...

Anyway, the LED would not have been commercially available when that Space Command was built.

Kamakiri 04-02-2018 11:50 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Well.....I had to get the answer, so I tore the back off and pulled the remote unit.

Facepalm.

It's NOT an LED. It's a standard light, but the red and black cord is what made me THINK it was......turns out that it was rewired to a Jensen replacement speaker. And a pretty good sounding one at that.

Well, I learned something new. Thing is that it doesn't even look close to belonging there.....

Adam 04-02-2018 12:04 PM

I got that set from Dwight ~2010 and traded it back to him ~2015. That Jensen speaker was in there when I got it. I recapped it. The CRT was weak, I think Dwight rejuvenated it after he got it back from me.

dieseljeep 04-02-2018 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WISCOJIM (Post 3197737)
Doesn't that TV predate the availability of LEDs?

I should've mentioned it was some form of lamp. Either neon or incandescent.
A long time ago. :scratch2:

captainmoody 04-09-2018 04:48 PM

Wow! That set has been around.. My friend Jim (Classicradios) got that 10 years ago, I had an old speaker out of an AMI juke that fit, so in it went!

Someone had taken the original speaker out of the set years before, and yes.. You better get a spare crt for that set, the tube rejuved but not all that well.