Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums

Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums (http://www.videokarma.org/index.php)
-   Early Color Television (http://www.videokarma.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   My first roundie!!! (http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=267112)

TUD1 05-29-2016 09:28 PM

My first roundie!!!

A huge thank you to my good friend Danny for finding this TV for me. It's a 1963 (plus or minus one) Admiral combo set. It was the lowest priced combo unit for the year. I don't know when I'll be picking it up, Danny just picked it up yesterday at an estate sale, and there is a lot that has to be done before it can be put into service. I'll post more information as I recieve it. In order to accommodate this TV, I will be forced to rearrange my room and get rid of my desk. My Zenith Chromacolor will take the desk's place.

joemama99 05-29-2016 11:32 PM

is there a chassis?

Dude111 05-30-2016 01:48 AM

Very nice buddy :)

TUD1 05-30-2016 08:27 AM

Joemama, yes, it was taken out for cleaning.

matt99 05-30-2016 09:21 AM

RCA clone or real admiral chassis?

TUD1 05-30-2016 09:36 AM

Danny told me last night, but I forgot. I'm pretty sure it's real Admiral chassis.

fixmeplease 05-30-2016 10:00 AM

Dont worry about running out of room. You can always put a mattress on top of it for sleeping:D Nice looking set.

Kamakiri 05-30-2016 10:15 AM

Nice!!!! :D

walterbeers 05-30-2016 11:09 AM

Congratulations! Roundies are getting kind of scarce. Just hope that the CRT and flyback is good. I don't know if it's an RCA clone or not, but somehow I think it very well might be. Please post pictures of the chassis. That way we will know. Good looking blond cabinet as well. Probably uses a 21FJP22 CRT. If so, hope there isn't any cataract.

TUD1 05-30-2016 12:01 PM

Did somebody say cataract? It's so bad, I don't think I'll have any issue getting the glass off.

DaveWM 05-30-2016 12:40 PM

regarding cleaning, pls don't go overboard on this, its easy to mess things up, I always say check it out as is, monitor the B+, the AC current draw, the HOT current, and the HV. Pull the horz out tube and the vert out tube and do a slow power up on a varic start in about 20vac slowly go up to about 80vac waiting about 10 min every 10v, monitor the can cap heat, watch out for any cardboard covered or chassis isolated can cap, the are used in doublers and will have B+ on the metal can.

Stop the variac if AC current goes over 3 amps, stop when if the B+ gets to 400v (less than full line voltage with no horz out tube installed).

If all that passes put the horz out and the vert out back in and go for a full power start up, again monitor the AC line current and the horz out cathode current, should be about 3.5 amps max on the line and 200-210 ma max on the horz out cathode. IF the HV comes up make sure it does not go over 25kv if so stop.

Often these old sets will be fine as is, the slow power up may make the can caps reform if they have not seen voltage in a very long time. full power with out the variac risk shorting a can cap.

The problem with cleaning is you can do damage that can be very hard to diagnose. if it works before cleaning then go ahead and clean some and test again. That way if you muck up something you will have a good Idea where to start.

TUD1 05-30-2016 12:58 PM

It will be several months before I pick this TV up. I haven't seen the chassis at all yet.

TUD1 05-30-2016 09:51 PM

Here is the radio amplifier chassis in the Admiral.

SwizzyMan 05-30-2016 10:31 PM

I told you you'd find one! That definitely is a beautiful admiral! You will have a lot of fun working on a roundie for sure. Keep us posted!:banana:

TUD1 05-30-2016 10:45 PM

Thanks! Yeah, it was by pure happenstance that Danny found this one. It was at a sale he originally wasn't going to go to, but he decided to check it anyway since he was in the area. I already know exactly where this set will go, too. It will be a lot of work to accomodate it, but it will be worth it. This set does indeed have an Admiral built chassis. So that's really neat. I suppose I should change my signature, huh?