Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums

Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums (http://www.videokarma.org/index.php)
-   Vintage TV & Radio Tech Forum (http://www.videokarma.org/forumdisplay.php?f=170)
-   -   Late-model filter can contents (http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=263026)

Jon A. 11-14-2014 06:33 PM

Late-model filter can contents

This was tied to a CTC110B chassis from 1982. I thought it unusual to see an old-style filter can on such a recent chassis. It was a single-section can though.

I want to rebuild the cans in my Admiral so I thought I would get some practice by taking this one apart. I used heat to remove the guts as described in the sticky above. The tar holding everything in was almost entirely at the top. I was surprised to find cutouts for three other terminals in the rubber and plastic spacers. I didn't have to snip the plate lead as it was detachable.

I'm going to see if I can find a way to rebuild these so that they can be maintained easily but look as close to original as possible. Hopefully I won't completely destroy this one while experimenting, but if I do, no big loss.

I decided to take a picture due to the differences between this can and the one in the tutorial. Interesting if nothing else. I didn't melt the rubber spacer, I damaged it with the pliers. Also, I eventually learned how to pry up the bottom edge of the can without damage. I found prying and lifting at the same time turned the trick.

zeno 11-15-2014 05:25 PM

I wouldnt worry to much about making it maintainable, with
modern caps it will probably outlive us all. For choosing caps
I would ask findem-keepem sp? he has the best grasp of
caps here. Keeping it looking good is the real challenge, way beyond
my abilities............

73 Zeno

zenith2134 11-16-2014 03:20 PM

I was surprised the first time I saw those metal cans labeled 'condenser' on my '83 CTC-117.. All the RCA color tabletops of that era used em. Personally, I aim to keep my old TVs in top operating condition, with less of a concern paid to cosmetics of the chassis.

Jon A. 11-16-2014 05:25 PM

I think I would go no further with part rebuilding than the multi-section cans. I'm not going to bend over backwards to make every little bit look 100% original.

zeno 11-16-2014 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zenith2134 (Post 3119595)
I was surprised the first time I saw those metal cans labeled 'condenser' on my '83 CTC-117.. All the RCA color tabletops of that era used em. Personally, I aim to keep my old TVs in top operating condition, with less of a concern paid to cosmetics of the chassis.

And they went left & right.Gave a nice hour glass pix. The OEM's
were expensive, I think abt $20 net IIRC. Odd value to boot.
Some had a second section IIRC a 10 mfd for the 200V supply.

73 Zeno:smoke:

Jon A. 11-16-2014 08:07 PM

Mine is 820 mfd. Well, it was anyway.