Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums

Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums (http://www.videokarma.org/index.php)
-   General Off Topic Forums (http://www.videokarma.org/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Cool finds from my trip (http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=270798)

Zsuttle 08-20-2018 11:28 PM

Cool finds from my trip

4 Attachment(s)
Finally, home and settled in after a long journey. Figured I'd wanna share what I found on my trip antiquing through the south. After all I've gotta brag about something since I still haven't found my CT-100. (It's in the next store)

Attachment 197554

I was fairly impressed with the variety that I found. There seemed to be quite a bunch of decently priced radios (and overpriced) in most of the stores I visited. I figure I can use most of it to fund my "experiments" for a few months at least.
Found some cool Halicrafters ham stuff, I'll definitely be looking into getting into that division down the road at somepoint.

I learned a few things on the way as well. I didn't know that Delco made a tabletop radio. I thought it was mostly limited to tubes and car radios.
Attachment 197555

Here's a Roland radio which I have zero idea what the cabinet is made of. Seriously, anyone know this plastic? It's not bakelite and I don't think it's catalin. Cool swirl pattern whatever it is
Attachment 197556

Picked up a Westinghouse little jewel with a chunk broken in the front. I absolutely love the styling on this thing, beautiful little radio either way.
Attachment 197557

I also managed to pick up a Zenith H2250R with a good 12UP4. I think I've found a place in the house where it can reside once I finish it. (right between my collection of 15in color TVs and my Ferraris)

All I have to do now is finish up a few of the projects I already have started and I can be on my way. Should keep me busy for awhile hopefully.

Electronic M 08-21-2018 12:18 AM

IIRC Delco also had some TV models early post-WWII.

I have a Teletone in a light brown swirl case that is identical to the Roland.
The plastic is probably Beetle or Plaskon.

Those Halicrafters can be awesome DX/SW sets with a recap and a longwire antenna.

jr_tech 08-21-2018 01:07 PM

Good finds!
Out of curiosity, what are the two radios above the older Hallicrafters (S22R?)... Im guessing RCA AM/FM and Packard Bell, but I have never seen either before. :scratch2:

jr

Zsuttle 08-21-2018 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jr_tech (Post 3203266)
Good finds!
Out of curiosity, what are the two radios above the older Hallicrafters (S22R?)... Im guessing RCA AM/FM and Packard Bell, but I have never seen either before. :scratch2:

jr

Yeah, the lower one is just an RCA AM/FM that appears to be from the mid to late 50s. I'm not sure, but I think it was a higher end model. It's got either 8 or 9 tubes. The top one is actually an Emerson AA5 (I think postwar?). It's got a spring loaded handle which I guess makes it a portable, though it still requires a plug in.

dieseljeep 08-22-2018 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Electronic M (Post 3203257)
IIRC Delco also had some TV models early post-WWII.

I have a Teletone in a light brown swirl case that is identical to the Roland.
The plastic is probably Beetle or Plaskon.

Those Halicrafters can be awesome DX/SW sets with a recap and a longwire antenna.

The swirl type plastic moldings are a result of the early days of recycling. They were ground up used plastic items or miss-molds.