Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums

Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums (http://www.videokarma.org/index.php)
-   Recorded Video (http://www.videokarma.org/forumdisplay.php?f=173)
-   -   RCA SFT100 CED player (http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=269448)

Adam 08-21-2017 05:21 PM

RCA SFT100 CED player

So I went to the Wisconsin antique radio club swap meet yesterday and didn't come back with any radios, but did score this CED player (1981 RCA SFT100), a 1979 Zenith VR9000W1 betamax VCR, a B&K 1076 TV analyst, and an old 3-speed bicycle.

I was surprised that this actually just worked when I tried it out, but after making it most of the way through an episode of Star Trek, the color started dropping in and out. I read that this was a belt issue, caused by the belt slipping and the turntable not going at a constant speed. So anyone know where to get CED player belts?

Also, is there anywhere around here I can pic up some beta tapes? (I know I can buy them on ebay, but I'd like to just drive somewhere nearby and pick one up) - I don't have any, and I'd like to pick up a tape to test that VCR with, I don't care what it is. When I lived in Los Angeles there was a thrift store I used to go to that had probably thousands of beta tapes (I don't know if they still have them, that was about 10 years ago now). I also know a thrift store in Lansing that even last year usually had a few beta tapes in with the VHS.

I'll post pics of the CED player later...

Electronic M 08-21-2017 06:17 PM

I can set you up with a beta tape or two. Now and then I'll see a beta tape in the thrifts, but it could take months for the next one to surface and I've found more decks than tapes that way.

Findm-Keepm 08-21-2017 09:06 PM

UM, PRB, aka Russell Industries. A google search will turn up their 800 number. 21.5" flat belt and a 2" sqaure belt, IIRC. The other post about a SFT100W will turn up the RCA part numbers. We sold them aplenty at Cain Electronics in the 80s. We also stocked the GC/Walsco belts, and later, the PRB. IIRC, I have the large flat belt in PRB somewhere, but only go as low as SB2.5 or so in the squares. Lemme check my stash.

dieseljeep 08-22-2017 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 3188448)
So I went to the Wisconsin antique radio club swap meet yesterday and didn't come back with any radios, but did score this CED player (1981 RCA SFT100), a 1979 Zenith VR9000W1 betamax VCR, a B&K 1076 TV analyst, and an old 3-speed bicycle.

I was surprised that this actually just worked when I tried it out, but after making it most of the way through an episode of Star Trek, the color started dropping in and out. I read that this was a belt issue, caused by the belt slipping and the turntable not going at a constant speed. So anyone know where to get CED player belts?

Also, is there anywhere around here I can pic up some beta tapes? (I know I can buy them on ebay, but I'd like to just drive somewhere nearby and pick one up) - I don't have any, and I'd like to pick up a tape to test that VCR with, I don't care what it is. When I lived in Los Angeles there was a thrift store I used to go to that had probably thousands of beta tapes (I don't know if they still have them, that was about 10 years ago now). I also know a thrift store in Lansing that even last year usually had a few beta tapes in with the VHS.

I'll post pics of the CED player later...

I don't know if you were still there, when I got there. I had my vintage collectors T shirt on. I got there a little late, because of running into a lot of road construction, plus I got up a little late, not factoring that in. :sigh:
There was a few radios, that I would've been interested in, but I was aced out, too late and a Dollar short. :thumbsdn:
There was only one that I was interested in, that was inside the building, but the old buzzard wouldn't deal and wanted to sell anything, I wasn't interested in. :boring:.

Adam 08-22-2017 06:12 PM

I got there right at 8 and left around 10:30. I didn't see any radios I was really into either. There was a Philco 39-55 I thought about, and a Zenith TO-3000 missing the front panel I bought for $20 and then sold for $20 before I left. There was a Philco 19" b/w from around 1961 I wanted, the "briefcase 19", but it was one of those things in the building he didn't want to sell.

dieseljeep 08-22-2017 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 3188503)
I got there right at 8 and left around 10:30. I didn't see any radios I was really into either. There was a Philco 39-55 I thought about, and a Zenith TO-3000 missing the front panel I bought for $20 and then sold for $20 before I left. There was a Philco 19" b/w from around 1961 I wanted, the "briefcase 19", but it was one of those things in the building he didn't want to sell.

You should try to make the Sept 23 meet in Milwaukee! It isn't too bad of a drive from Madison. There will be many of the same people that were there in the Madison meet. :thmbsp:

Adam 08-23-2017 08:17 PM

2 Attachment(s)
The part numbers from the other thread:
RCA part number 149045 crosses to PRB part number FR2.0
RCA part number 152751 crosses to PRB part number FR21.5

Once I get around to getting the belts, I'll post if it works.

Here's the pics. I finally have internet here now and don't have to use my phone. This was from when I first put in the disc before it was having the color problems. The TV is a 1979 Zenith CCII 19" with the SC1000 remote.

Electronic M 08-24-2017 08:44 AM

If you are eager to watch those CEDs, one interim solution is to shrink the platter drive belt. That entails removing the belt, cutting it with sharp scissors, lay the ends over each other so you cut both at the same angle, cut it again to remove ~1/4"-1/2" length from the belt and have the cut angles match, then super glue the ends together, let dry and reinstall.