Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums

Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums (http://www.videokarma.org/index.php)
-   Introductions (http://www.videokarma.org/forumdisplay.php?f=145)
-   -   Hi. My name is Sam... (http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=256218)

azbigsam 10-25-2012 03:57 PM

Hi. My name is Sam...

1 Attachment(s)
and I'm addicted to vintage televisions.

I'm from Mesa, Arizona. I'm 33 years old, married, with 3 boys and 1 on the way (don't know if its a boy or girl).

I have always loved items from the 1940's to 1960's.
I used to have 5-6 vintage TVs when I first got married but I think it kind of freaked out my wife so I quit cold turkey and sold them.

Well fast forward 9 years and my parents who live close by retired and are on a Mormon mission to Italy for 18 months. They asked me to check on their house once a month to make sure everything is OK. About the same time they left I started looking at this site and antiqueradios.com and got the itch back.:no:

Well, within a month I have already found a couple of TVs on craigslist and am hiding them at my parents house. I think this could be trouble.:nono:

I got the Stromberg Carlson for $75 and the Philco for $25. I just couldn't pass up such great deals!
If anyone has or know who has a metal Opera View knob for the Stromberg Carlson could you let me know.

Thanks.

Sandy G 10-25-2012 05:18 PM

You in a HEAP o' Trouble now, Boy !! (grin) GREAT lookin' sets...I think EVERYBODY oughta have a Porthole...

Wally Swift 10-25-2012 09:38 PM

Hello Sam!

Kamakiri 10-26-2012 07:14 AM

Vintage TVs are like Jell-O, and there's always room for Jell-O :)

radiotron 10-26-2012 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sandy G (Post 3052227)
I think EVERYBODY oughta have a Porthole...

That wasnt a porthole that was a stromberg-carlson

Sandy G 10-26-2012 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by radiotron (Post 3052329)
That wasnt a porthole that was a stromberg-carlson

Uhh, look at the pic again...Its a STROMBERG-CARLSON Porthole...They made one, too...

bgadow 10-26-2012 10:22 PM

Sam, you wouldn't believe the stuff I've snuck in the back door! It gets easier after you have a few....harder to notice, say, the 7th TV when you had 6 last week!

Username1 10-27-2012 07:15 PM

bgadow - Pretty funny, I do that too! ! ! Good thing the wife don't actually GO into that room.......

Sandy G 10-27-2012 07:41 PM

My wife just looks in "The Ship's Radio Room" & makes a face...She deals w/dying veterans all day long, strung-out veterans from Desert Scam 1 & 2, Viet Nam, Korea...but she's still not brave enuff to go into my "Radio Room".."Here There Be Tygers" 'n' all, doncha know...(grin)

DavGoodlin 10-29-2012 07:51 AM

Sam,

Welcome to the TV funhouse. Those two were great deals for such nice sets! I wish I could find an S-C tv, they were top-shelf stuff judging by the posts here.
There are many Philco experts here - sometimes I pretend to be one because I rescued so many at the curb in the 70s, here in Philco-land.

I can relate to having the little ones around this hobby. My barn-garage and attic are off-limits unless I'm there too. Nothing gets plugged in unless its via isolation transformer.
Once you get either of those working, they will probably want to watch some cartoons on them...lol My "crackly radios" are a big hit too, but only when there is music playing.

Dave

PS The wife should be happy you don't have a car hobby, that stuff really is hard to hide!

azbigsam 10-29-2012 09:38 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Dave,

Actually I'm a recovering car addict as well!
Here is a picture of my first car I bought when I was 16. A 1952 Pontiac Chieftain. The second one, 1960 Mercury 2 door hardtop, I bought after I was married. I don't have either one now.:tears:

tvtimeisfun 10-29-2012 12:22 PM

Hello a day without tube type tvs is a day without sunshine always remember tvs are mans best friend they replaced the dog with these tube type beauties... welcome aboard the tv merrygo round hang on tight it is a fun ride...Timothy

6GH8cowboy 10-31-2012 10:15 AM

Hi Sam,
I too have the privilage of havef having a wife who incorporated a few oldies in her decore. They get oohs and ahhs when folks visit, especialy when theyre working. When the local NBC afilliate went digital they did a piece featuring my 1948 RCA 10" set. He shot a good bit of footage of the set playing with their noon news on the screen and asked to shoot some of the insides with the back removed. His memorable quote to me was "Ive seen these in museums but I've never seen one working!" bIt turned out to be about a 5 minuite piece on air.
Enjoy the hobby and SHARE.

Bill R 11-01-2012 01:12 PM

My wife has no idea what or how many things I have in my shop/office/warehouse. She knows about them, she just doesn't know if I have one of something or five. Sometimes I find things and just put them there. When she notices, I say they have been there a long time. She really doesn't care and she knows I do that. Now when I find something, say on ebay or craigslist, I just tell her and she buys it. Works really well. By the way, I don't complain about all the craft stuff she buys. I know a good thing. Have fun.

Sandy G 11-01-2012 02:12 PM

LOVE the '60 Merc ! And believe it or not, its styling was actually considered TAME in light of what had gone before..