Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums

Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums (http://www.videokarma.org/index.php)
-   Solid State CRT Televisions (http://www.videokarma.org/forumdisplay.php?f=184)
-   -   HELP! Zenith Degaussing shield! (http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=267134)

TUD1 06-03-2016 03:08 PM

HELP! Zenith Degaussing shield!

I moved my Zenith Chromacolor today, and since I did not have very much help, I had to remove the picture tube to lift it. Now, it's in its new home, and I CANNOT get the degaussing shield to go back on correctly. When I took the bolts out, I heard a POP and the degaussing shield shifted, and I can't get it to go back anywhere correctly.

TUD1 06-03-2016 03:25 PM

I'm making slow progress - I got two corners (bottom left and top right from the photo's perspective) but now, the shield hardly moves at all. I can't get it to reach the other two corners.

Electronic M 06-03-2016 07:21 PM

Do you see the straps on the sides of the shield? Unscrew the straps from each other and the shied will unwrap it's self from the CRT. Lift CRT from the shield. The proper installation order is to put the shield in the cabinet, bolt the shield corners down, set the CRT in the shield from the rear, fold the shield around the CRT and tighten the side straps of the shield.

Hope that makes sense.

TUD1 06-03-2016 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Electronic M (Post 3163991)
Do you see the straps on the sides of the shield? Unscrew the straps from each other and the shied will unwrap it's self from the CRT. Lift CRT from the shield. The proper installation order is to put the shield in the cabinet, bolt the shield corners down, set the CRT in the shield from the rear, fold the shield around the CRT and tighten the side straps of the shield.

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks, Electronic M. I think I understand what you're saying. If I unbolt the straps, the shield will unfold, then bolt the shield down at the corners. Then stick the CRT in from behind the bolted down shield? Then bolt the straps? Sounds like it would work. I'll try that tomorrow evening as I don't have access to the TV right now.

Electronic M 06-03-2016 09:19 PM

Yup. I remember being annoyed in the process of learning that method by my own guess work a few years back...It's clever and works well, once you know how to deal with it.

TUD1 06-04-2016 05:52 PM

OK - I got the degaussing shield bolted down and the straps unbolted. I have the pieces of the shield restrained with some thin wire to hold them back, but the CRT is too fat to go in! I don't want to force it. Should I?

TUD1 06-04-2016 06:38 PM

Good News! I found out what the problem was. The degaussing coil itself was in the way. I moved it and the CRT fell into position perfectly. All I have to do now is align it. I sure am glad I watched all those alignment videos on Youtube. I'm pretty sure I'll be able to handle it. Now that I have that spiffy Sencore NTSC generator, alignment should be a breeze compared to this tube fiasco.

dishdude 06-04-2016 11:52 PM

Next time wait until a friend can help you move it :)

TUD1 06-05-2016 09:14 AM

Nobody ever helps me with anything. I have to do everything by myself. I couldn't even get my mother to come LOOK at the set.