Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums

Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums (http://www.videokarma.org/index.php)
-   Solid State CRT Televisions (http://www.videokarma.org/forumdisplay.php?f=184)
-   -   Cute little 9" CRT at Salvation Army (http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=268035)

RCAZenith 11-14-2016 07:34 AM

Cute little 9" CRT at Salvation Army

At the local Salvation Army they have a small 9" Dial Tuned CRT tv. Not sure of the brand (mabye Emerson), but it is part of the "Celebrity" model line (I'm assuming it was a basic line similar to "Zenith Custom Series". It had seperate VHF and UHF inputs with a 75ohm VHF input and a 300 ohm UHF input. Price tag of $5. Should I spring for it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dieseljeep 11-14-2016 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RCAZenith (Post 3173191)
At the local Salvation Army they have a small 9" Dial Tuned CRT tv. Not sure of the brand (mabye Emerson), but it is part of the "Celebrity" model line (I'm assuming it was a basic line similar to "Zenith Custom Series". It had seperate VHF and UHF inputs with a 75ohm VHF input and a 300 ohm UHF input. Price tag of $5. Should I spring for it?

I remember seeing a 13" Samsung that was labeled "Celebrity", so it's probably a earlier Samsung product.
Regarding the price, if it's in perfect condition, go for it. :banana:

RCAZenith 11-14-2016 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dieseljeep (Post 3173194)
I remember seeing a 13" Samsung that was labeled "Celebrity", so it's probably a earlier Samsung product.

Regarding the price, if it's in perfect condition, go for it. :banana:

I am very very tempted. If I were a single man I'd have a house full of tvs lol.

Electronic M 11-14-2016 04:37 PM

Depends on how well it matches your taste, and how much space you have. Knowing what you want and saving room for it is not a bad thing.

Jon A. 11-14-2016 05:23 PM

Being a niner it won't take over a room. Well, it would if you're spending some time in the dog house for bringing it home. :D In that case, cheap big screen!

RCAZenith 11-15-2016 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon A. (Post 3173237)
Being a niner it won't take over a room. Well, it would if you're spending some time in the dog house for bringing it home. :D In that case, cheap big screen!

Haha. I have my eyes on a few 80s vintage console sets that would be more worthwhile. I am tempted to buy a couple for a Mario Kart tournament that I am planning, then put them all in the garage.

centralradio 11-15-2016 01:52 PM

I would grab it.I know its a crap brand but I picked up a Supersonic 5 inch B/W TV/radio never used still in its box for $3 bucks at the Goodwill last weekend..

Jon A. 11-15-2016 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RCAZenith (Post 3173256)
Haha. I have my eyes on a few 80s vintage console sets that would be more worthwhile. I am tempted to buy a couple for a Mario Kart tournament that I am planning, then put them all in the garage.

That would be pretty neat. Even 80s consoles are becoming rather scarce around here. I saw them ln the local classifieds regularly as recently as three years ago. B&W sets from the early 50s show up more often.

dieseljeep 11-15-2016 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by centralradio (Post 3173283)
I would grab it.I know its a crap brand but I picked up a Supersonic 5 inch B/W TV/radio never used still in its box for $3 bucks at the Goodwill last weekend..

It's funny how things change. At one time, the Samsung line was low end, trouble-prone rubbish. Their VCR's, sold as RCA's and GE's were a PITA.
Now look at the name! It seems to be the most sought after and desired product line and the performance proves it.
When that small B&W set was built, most any make stood up rather well. :scratch2:

dieseljeep 11-15-2016 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by centralradio (Post 3173283)

I picked up one of those el-cheapo 5" B&W sets at an estate sale a few years back. It didn't even come with an AC adaptor or a DC cord. Those sets were give-aways for looking at a time-share or similar.
It was on the free pile, along with a 13" Zenith color portable and a 27" Zenith console color set. I only took the Chinese cheapie and the 13" System 3 portable. :yes:

Eric H 11-15-2016 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dieseljeep (Post 3173315)
It's funny how things change. At one time, the Samsung line was low end, trouble-prone rubbish. Their VCR's, sold as RCA's and GE's were a PITA.
Now look at the name! It seems to be the most sought after and desired product line and the performance proves it.

You have heard about their burning phones and exploding washing machines right? :D

Jon A. 11-16-2016 04:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric H (Post 3173320)
You have heard about their burning phones and exploding washing machines right? :D

I guess the biggest change at Samsung was in advertising ;)

Shake, rattle and roll! Reminds me of a washing machine at my building, one of many units that have been through here since the GEs finally wore out. If a load was unbalanced even a little it would make a tremendous noise, meaning it was noisy all the time as it neared its demise. Two ladies overloaded it one day while I was down there. It shook violently, started moving away from the wall and finally blew off its front panel. Darn thing was still going after that and was quickly unplugged.

dieseljeep 11-16-2016 10:18 AM

Quote:

It seems, the more money you spend on their products, the worst they are.
My $20 Samsung Tracphone is just fine.
My laundry equipment has always been Whirlpool. Good value for the money.
I look at these fancy over priced products, when I'm at Menards or Home Depot and wonder why some people could spend that kind of money on extra features, they'll probably never use. :D

centralradio 11-17-2016 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dieseljeep (Post 3173315)
When that small B&W set was built, most any make stood up rather well. :scratch2:

Quote:

Originally Posted by dieseljeep (Post 3173317)
I picked up one of those el-cheapo 5" B&W sets at an estate sale a few years back. It didn't even come with an AC adaptor or a DC cord. Those sets were give-aways for looking at a time-share or similar.
It was on the free pile, along with a 13" Zenith color portable and a 27" Zenith console color set. I only took the Chinese cheapie and the 13" System 3 portable. :yes:

Quote:

Yes .Those cheap sets were give a ways.Yes Samsung was like Soundesign in their early days and Sony was tops.Now its the reverse .Sony now spends money and energy in Hollywood instead of TVs.