Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums

Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums (http://www.videokarma.org/index.php)
-   Introductions (http://www.videokarma.org/forumdisplay.php?f=145)
-   -   Vintage TV Restoration is Insane (http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=247606)

Winky Dink 04-18-2010 12:34 AM

Vintage TV Restoration is Insane

So, I fit in pretty well.

I rescued our family's first TV and shipped it 2,000 miles because I thought it would be a nice, nostalgic piece of furniture. This is a 1950 Motorola 12T2, in very good condition, but the picture went out in 1969. When I got it home, I had to take the chassis out of the cabinet to clean debris from the front of the screen.

With the chassis out, I plugged it in and I was entranced by the seductive, soft glow the vacuum tubes. With no background in electronics, but with expert guidance, I have been attempting a full restoration for several months.

I've recapped the paper and electrolytics, recoated the CRT, upgraded selenium rectifiers to diodes, and replaced a few clearly defective small components. Now remember, when I started this project the only component I could identify was "knobs." Right now I'm stuck with a dead focus coil.

But my story gets worse! While looking for a focus coil I picked up a delightful Bakelite 1948 Admiral 17T12 that actually works.

Is this going to be my fate? Am I going to lose my wife and my home and live in a cheap hotel room with hundreds of derelict TV sets?

In any case, I'm thrilled to join the forum. I'll be picking brains, looking for parts, and help others in any way I can (I still know almost nothing about electronics but, as you see, I haven't electrocuted myself...yet).

I take lots of photos, so if anyone is interested in either the Motorola 12T2 or the Admiral 17T12, here are links to my PicasaWeb albums (under the name "coldrb.")

http://picasaweb.google.com/coldrb/M...14324729845682

http://picasaweb.google.com/coldrb/A...90650566868642

bandersen 04-18-2010 01:03 AM

Welcome to VK :wave:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Winky Dink (Post 2971146)
Is this going to be my fate? Am I going to lose my wife and my home and live in a cheap hotel room with hundreds of derelict TV sets?

Could be :scratch2: - I know I'm slowly being buried alive under sets :nutz:

Nice sets. I have a Motorola 12K2 and Admiral 19A11 both similar to yours. Good luck with restoring them.

Sandy G 04-18-2010 04:30 AM

And this is a problem HOW ?!? Welcome to th' Monkey House ! Relax, you're amongst friends !

Username1 04-18-2010 11:10 AM

You can always bury them in the yard............... like nuts.

Tony V 04-18-2010 03:13 PM

Welcome to VK!

Zenith26kc20 04-19-2010 10:25 AM

Don't worry.....
It WILL get worse!
Sitting on one TV working on another is where you will end up:banana:

AUdubon5425 04-19-2010 02:52 PM

Hah - at the moment I'm using two consoles I'm working on as additional workbenches! I don't think the wife is amused:o

On the other hand, my brother said he wants a couple of smaller console sets to use as end tables when the house gets done :D

Winky Dink 04-20-2010 02:23 AM

Thanks, everyone, for the warm welcome.

freakaftr8 04-21-2010 05:00 PM

Your'e sucked in now!! Muhhhaaaaaahaaahaaahaaaa!!
Lol, you will enjoy this site. The people here are like family, and very friendly and knowladgable..

Findm-Keepm 04-21-2010 06:09 PM

Consider this "group therapy" - we're all afflicted - slaves to our collections.

Welcome to VK!

Cheers,

snelson903 04-10-2012 04:24 AM

1955 zenith

my wife knew this from the beginning ,when i was dating her back in 1985 i had stuff all over my house since i was a kid i was collecting. she put up with it, i just moved everthing to the basement .then it happened in june of 1996 we had a flood there was 4 feet of water in my basement ,and the west wall fell in and i lost everything 9 roundie's color console's, zenith, rca's, were lost now she's encouraging me start collecting again .you got buy them something every once in awhile keep them happy , i just bought a mint condition 1955 zenith r 2360ru off craigs list ,the outside is purfect it just needs recapped maybe a picture tube . i almost didnt buy it but i remembered what squirrel boy said just buy it i can always bury it the back yard :D

hi_volt 04-15-2012 08:46 AM

If you think this hobby is crazy, then you're obviously sane and should continue persuing it. If you don't think it's crazy, then you're obviously insane and still should continue persuing it. That's the Catch......Bwahahahaha!

Rusty34 04-18-2012 09:02 AM

You won't lose your home because you'll soon realize how important it is to keep it for housing and protecting the collection. You won't lose you wife right away either but she'll move out and get her own place. This is good because this will open up valuable space. The furniture will get in the way soon too. When you toss those out you'll have additional room available for more TV's. Welcome!!

Rusty

Kamakiri 04-18-2012 02:26 PM

You know, I know a few guys like that........

Steve 04-21-2012 10:29 AM

Gotta agree with you, but hobbies rarely make much sense.
Especally financially! At least old TV's are easy to find and
restoration is mostly labor.
Steve