Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums

Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums (http://www.videokarma.org/index.php)
-   Antique Radio (http://www.videokarma.org/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Philco radio model 42-380 help request (http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=270951)

Ray Sieracki 10-04-2018 08:35 PM

Philco radio model 42-380 help request

So, I plan on recaping this philco soon. It's been a while since I've done a radio. I printed the schematic off of Nostalgia Air but I'm having a hard time making a good list of the caps I will need. I'm sure several collectors have done this one before. Hopefully someone can steer me to getting a good list of the caps that I will need.
I will post pictures once I'm done. It s cabinet is in strikingly great condition. Alot of small repairs, but I'm sure she will be a good performer.

Ray Sieracki 10-05-2018 10:32 AM

I did not explain that any of the scematics I have looked at are not clear enough. Is there a source where I can get the list of a complete list of capacitors.

Titan1a 10-05-2018 04:09 PM

Make sure you replace the 6X5 tube. I recommend a solid state replacement.

Ray Sieracki 10-06-2018 08:27 AM

Good thought. I was thinking about that tubeand I think there is an outfit copper -something that carries them

Ray Sieracki 10-06-2018 08:29 AM

I'm still trying to find a clear ,easy to see print for this set.

dieseljeep 10-06-2018 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray Sieracki (Post 3204608)
I'm still trying to find a clear ,easy to see print for this set.

I'll look to see if my paper edition is clearer.
Many times, they weren't that clear to begin with. The method that Rider used seemed to be photographic and at times were blurry. :sigh:

Electronic M 10-06-2018 11:06 AM

Many digital riders were scanned in low rez black and white without grey scale so image quality often borders on illegible. I recently bought most of the original paper radio binders. If you know the volume and page (and if I have it) I can try to photograph the page.

Pro tip: if you buy capacitors online (from say mouser, digikey, etc.) in bulk and hit volume discount thresholds of 25, 50, 100 (of one value of part) they are much cheaper than any source for individual parts in smaller quantities, and you can stockpile dozens of each common value...If you do a lot of sets this comes in handy. In the time it takes me to make a parts list, if I have the parts on hand I can skip making a list and do half the recap work in the time I saved. Also if I really get the urge to work on something 'right now' all I have to do is power up my workbench/soldering iron and take that something down from the shelf.

Ray Sieracki 10-06-2018 11:44 AM

Thank you.

Ray Sieracki 10-06-2018 11:53 AM

I see a 3 pin input in the rear of this philco 42-380. I believe it's for a phonograph.
With that being said there is no switch for it. I see there is a push button for short wave, and another for police band.
What I did like to do is input my cell phone and use it as a source for audio. Maybe tap in on police or Short wave? With a mini plug?

WISCOJIM 10-06-2018 04:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Electronic M (Post 3204611)
Many digital riders were scanned in low rez black and white without grey scale so image quality often borders on illegible. I recently bought most of the original paper radio binders. If you know the volume and page (and if I have it) I can try to photograph the page.

Tom, do you need an index? I think I have several here...somewhere.

http://www.videokarma.org/attachment...1&d=1538862607

Ray Sieracki 10-06-2018 05:25 PM

What I am seeing is JF Rider philco page 14-48 and 14-49. Tom this is from nostalgia air . Volume 14 for this model 42-380 ( 121 )

Ray Sieracki 10-06-2018 07:16 PM

It is so hard to read. Ill wait till you check.

Electronic M 10-06-2018 10:57 PM

I have a digital index on the discs I bought ~15 years ago (gotta find those), but no paper copy.

Ray sorry to make you wait for disappointment but my copy of riders 14 is missing everything from Layfayette to Scott. So I don't have what you need.
https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1910/...7b9c0401_n.jpgdscn9703 by Tom Carlson, on Flickr

EDIT: Don't hack up the band switch. You should add the input between the detector output and the volume pot. One slick approach I discovered on a period modified Crosley is to take a headphone jack with an integral switch (most 70's jacks had one for dummy load/impedance matching resistors) actuated by plugging in the phone plug...In that configuration plugging the cord from the input switches the radio to the input and unplugging it switches back to radio.

WISCOJIM 10-06-2018 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Electronic M (Post 3204630)
I have a digital index on the discs I bought ~15 years ago (gotta find those), but no paper copy.

There should also be indexes on that thumb drive full of Riders, Beitmans, Sams, etc.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Electronic M (Post 3204630)
Ray sorry to make you wait for disappointment but my copy of riders 14 is missing everything from Layfayette to Scott. So I don't have what you need.

You might want to double check that. I've run through a lot of Riders volumes in the past that were not assembled in the correct order.

mr_rye89 10-06-2018 11:29 PM

I've got a Philco 42-390 cabinet that I ended up putting a 42-380 chassis in. I actually ordered a printed copy of the schematic (42-390 chassis) but the 390 chassis was too far gone and I got a 380 chassis of ebay, recapped and installed it (now working).

I went between the printed 390 schematic, the illegible 380 schematic, and reading the values of the capacitors in the chassis when I did the recap. It was a bit of a bear but I got through it in one sitting. A really hot soldering iron, mini diagonals, mini needlenoses, a desoldering bulb, dental tools, precision screwdrivers, and heatshrink tubing are your friends here :thmbsp:

Also the rubber insulation on the wires in this radio are disintegrating. I replaced a bunch in mine, and did heatshrink tubing on the ones I couldn't replace.

As far as 6X5 rectifiers, I threw out the box plate one that came in mine and used a heavy duty JAN 6X5GT, which has X shaped plates like a 5Y4 and is much less prone to shorting out and smoking your tranny.

EDIT:

The three pin connector on the back is for an external antenna for the shortwave/police band, not for a phono. you'll have to tie to the volume pot wiper and rig a switch for a phono input. (I modded mine for a Pilot FM tuner which has a built in input switch)