View Single Post
Old 01-11-2018, 10:00 AM
VideoKarma Member

OK, I have a concern that I need cleared up. There are these ceramic capacitors used in this TV, mostly in the IF stages. I call them "Hot Dog" caps because they look like hot dogs. Seeing they are ceramic I haven't paid too much attention to them when I do a recap. On this chassis I'm down to the last tube, tube V3, and decided to check some of these caps because they were already disconnected while I'm replacing the resistors. Well, to my amazement the 5 I checked were well out of tolerance......I think.

According to the the Sams parts list, C12-C16 (the ones I checked) can use Aerovox 1468, Cornell-Dubilier 1W series which both are mica caps. I looked in the 1951 Allied catalog and the C-D mica caps have a tolerance of +/- 20% while there was no tolerance listed in the Allied catalog for the Aerovox caps.

In the picture of the schematic below I have penciled in the readings I get for each capacitor. They are:
C12 - 1623pf
C13 - 1431pf
C14 - 1931pf
C15 - 1707pf
C16 - 1230pf

Should I check all of those hot dog caps and replace them too? I've never replaced those before because I've always thought they were good. Now I'm not so sure.

Last edited by Crist Rigott; 01-11-2018 at 10:09 AM.
Audiokarma