View Single Post
Old 05-27-2014, 01:11 AM
VideoKarma Member

Back in a "different world " (early 1992), I owned a 1987 Buick Riviera. good car, liked it. I really enjoyed it's high-tech features at the time. BUT--not long after I got it in I think December of 91...I discovered why it had been sold. It normally ran VERY well and smoothly, and the 3.8 PFI engine was not exactly a weakling. BUT..every once in awhile...it would begin to 'surge" in rpm's, cough....and then DIE. This usually happened (IIRC) when I was NOT under power, particularly during coasting down a hill or such.

One particular time...this happened at night.. when I was just out "fooling around" and driving for the heck of it. I was in or near Batavia Ohio, near that nice hill known around here as "devils backbone", due to its steepness and many curves down it's path. The car was running fine, BUT had stalled once or twice earlier that night. It WOULD instantly restart..BUT since it had automatic headlights....if it DID die....and you went to re-start...the lights would go OUT--while starting. Normally--this is NOT a big deal...BUT if you are descending a steep, curvy hill at night it is.

As I began down Devils backbone...the engine began surging , coughed a couple of times and then DIED. NOW_-if I HAD tried to re-start...I would have lost my lights..SO--I had to ride ALL the way down the hill...with NO engine, power brakes or steering !! Thank the LORD...no one was coming up that hill as I came down dead like that....as I am SURE I would have hit them--it was NOT at all easy to keep from running off the road coming down a steep hill at night....with manual EVERYTHING !!

VERY soon after this...I heard about a stall recall....GM paid to put in a new PROM and I THINK MAF sensor and coil pack too IIRC...That DID fix the problem.