View Single Post
Old 12-19-2018, 09:25 PM
VideoKarma Member

I started messing around with electronics when I was around 6 years old. Many of my older relatives gave me their old AA5 table radios from the 40's and I'd dutifully take the tubes to the drug store to test them, and more often than not, a simple tube replacement would resurrect an old set. I think in many cases, the old radios given to me still worked, it was just that the owners had bought something newer and didn't want to trash an old radio that likely cost a pretty penny back in the day. I also acquired a few 78 RPM record changers as well as the occasional record player/radio console.

I built a stereo, using speakers from old console TV's, and literally hand wiring separate amplifiers from old TV and radio components. A whopping 3 watt/channel output, but it put out enough volume to elicit a "turn that thing DOWN" from my parents rather often! LOL

Grandparents also gave me their old mid 50's Zenith B&W TV's when they upgraded to newer and/or color sets, and I was probably one of the first kids my age to have his own TV in his bedroom. Ah, the good old days!

I still have most of the AA5 table radios in addition to a 1948 Philco AM/FM phono vertical console. They all need to be refurbished, which will be up to the next owner.
Audiokarma