View Single Post
Old 06-21-2022, 09:02 AM
Motorola Minion

'51 Magnavox vertical osc transformer

17" blonde mini console chassis "CT301" model MV-33J:

I found the original problem HA! right after recapping all papers and 'lytics 100%, since no amount of "waking up" or reforming of the original electrolytics was warranted. These originals were made by and branded Magnavox, not Mallory (code 240). At startup, I was happy to see at least a horizontal line and normal B+ voltages, so HV, horiz. sweep and sound were working.

The first voltage checked was vert. osc. 6C4's plate pin 5, which was -7 volts, thus immediately pointed to T2, the oscillators' transformer being open. Its rare that I zero in on an issue so efficiently. The part number is 320030 and one of 3 listed is a Stancor replacement per the Sams Photofact. Unfortunately, I dont have a TelAide for Magnavox and this is too old for ET digest, so no factory schematic.

After removal I tried my best to "surgically restore" continuity but this little thing has an internal open that is unreachable. The Sams does state a resistance of 950 ohms primary / 170 ohms secondary, so are these small "inter-stage" transformers fairly universal ?

Last edited by DavGoodlin; 06-21-2022 at 09:12 AM.