View Single Post
Old 03-23-2018, 11:24 AM
VideoKarma Member

Attempting first project - Some questions if I may

Disclaimer: This is going to be some dumb/newbie questions, so if you're not patient this is not a good thread for you, lol.

OK so after two years of acquiring sets I finally am getting around to recapping and retubing my first set. A Zenith b/w table top. I've been reading here, watching videos from shango and Doug, read the antique radio guides, etc.

These are my questions (based on the pictures below).

1.) There are two electrolytic cans that have three terminal leads each with different values. After scouring the net I am guessing these types of twist lock style cans are no longer produced. I have two NOS exact part # Zenith replacement cans. I understand the point is that it is not a matter of used/unused it is a matter of time drying out the electrolytes. But really, if I use these, will it be the same result as not even replacing the old ones?

2.) In the photos that show under the current can already installed, I noticed the electrolytic capacitor only has wires going to two terminals leaving one unconnected. The schematic shows all three having connections. I have had this set on before and it worked as is. So what is up with this? I am not good at reading schematics but it shows that particular empty terminal supposed to be going to near the horizontal hold. So confused.

3.) Do these old cans just twist off? It looks like I will have to break the old one somewhat to get it out.

4.) The picture with the tape on the tube with a grounded wire to the chassis. What is that? I discovered that when I removed the plastic backing and it looks like someone rigged something up there.

5.) On the electrolytic marked "2407031", I have a nice new electrolytic for this one but I noticed on the right side it looks like there are two wires going to the + side. When I solder in the new one it is an axial style. Should I just make sure both of them are making contact to the new lead?

6.) Lastly, please look at my paper/film capacitor assortment. Are these the right type? All the values are matching the old ones I just didn't know if they are acceptable types. They are going to replace the old wax/paper ones.

OK, if anyone is bored/feeling charitable please feel free to answer these questions.

PS, anything to help me not get shocked before I begin? Nothing is too obvious for a beginner. The set has been unplugged for over a year.

Thanks!!!!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg a1.jpg (60.3 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg a2.jpg (40.5 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg a4.jpg (45.9 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg a5.jpg (51.0 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg a6.jpg (51.9 KB, 48 views)