View Single Post
Old 08-30-2014, 08:48 PM
<----Zenith C845

I am a ham radio operator as well, and with a "W" call sign. Got my first amateur license in 1972 and am presently licensed (my callsign appears after my signature), so I've been fooling around with the hobby in one form or another over 40 years. Am now on 2-meter FM and Echolink (an amateur radio linking application that connects licensed amateurs to other amateur stations via their computers) because I live in an apartment building and, even though my landlord would allow it (I asked him about this some months ago), do not want to go to the trouble of erecting an antenna.

VK member ChrisW6ATV has a point as far as legitimate amateur radio operating is concerned, and a darn good one at that. Licenses are always required for any type of operating in the amateur bands, even if you use just a 100-mw (0.1 watt) transmitter. There are no exceptions. The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) has very strict rules regarding unlicensed amateur operating; the penalties range from very hefty fines to, at worst, imprisonment.

I would even be leery of using a VCR's RF modulator as a transmitter, its very short range notwithstanding. These modulators are not intended to be used as transmitters; their only purpose is to generate an NTSC TV signal on channel 3 or 4 to be sent over a coaxial cable to the TV set. The FCC's rules set very strict limits on the amount of RF leakage from any modulator, whether built in to a VCR or outboard. This is why any attempt to use a VCR, or a standalone RF modulator (as used with DVD players), as a low-power TV transmitter will yield very disappointing results if you are looking for any kind of range (read miles). That is, the dodge will work if your TV is within, for example, 200 feet or less of the antenna, but don't try to use it to broadcast your VCR's RF output to a television in the next room--it will not work, and if you try to boost the signal by any means, you will be running afoul of the FCC's rules and could be subjected to a fine or a jail sentence as well, as I said above. Best to get an amateur radio license and transmit amateur television signals legally, in the 432-MHz range.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.

Last edited by Jeffhs; 08-30-2014 at 08:53 PM.