View Single Post
Old 08-31-2014, 01:53 AM
Another CT-100 lives!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
You have a W callsign which means you have been a radio user FOR ALONG TIME!! (They havent issued W calls in many years)

Whats the farthest you have talked buddy??
The Amateur Radio service has a program where you can pick almost any unused call sign that fits the standard format for ham-radio call signs in the USA, so many people now have "W" call signs again. That is how I got mine, with "ATV" in it, in 1996 after having "K" and "AB" call signs before that.

From northern California, the farthest, I am not sure, maybe South Africa. That is on the shortwave/"HF" radio bands. The live TV signals are on UHF bands (above TV channel 83, or below channel 14) and they go through a repeater (relay station) on a mountaintop 3000-3500 feet in the air. By using that mountaintop repeater (there are two different ones near here for ATV), others watching (and sending their own video signals back) have been 70-100 miles away at times.

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."