View Single Post
Old 03-17-2017, 08:56 PM
The Resident Brony

Ok, well iirc, even the chipless keyed ones of those still have a quasi-passkey system. There is a sort of switch on the key cylinder that is hooked up to security. But anyway, if the antitheft light is not on while the ignition is on, it's probably not a security issue.

Common causes for a no crank at good battery voltage would be the ignition switch, neutral switch, starter relay, starter itself, or ground wire.

The ignition switch may still have burned contacts, just because it disengages the accessories in the crank position doesn't mean it's engaging the start connection. To verify this, try rapidly turning the key between the run and crank positions, which may clean the contacts and eventually make a connection.

The neutral switch should be easy to eliminate as a problem, just look at the PRNDL indicator on the dash. It should have P underlined. Even so, with one hand, hold the key in the crank position, while simultaneously moving the shifter through the gears, particularly neutral and park.

This car should have a starter relay, which'd be in the underhood fusebox. It should be labeled as such. Have someone else sit in the car and turn the key between run and crank, while you listen or feel if the particular relay is clicking. Note that a couple other relays will also click at the same time. You could also remove the relay while someone holds the key on crank, and plug the relay back in to see if it clicks. Either way, try swapping that relay with another one in the fuse box.

If it's the starter, you can try hitting the starter with a hammer while someone holds the key on crank. Or, sometimes I get away with sitting in the driver seat and rocking the car while cranking it. That'll jar the armature hopefully enough to move past a dead spot and start cranking.

A bad main engine ground wire can sometimes (but not always) be successfully bypassed by putting a jumper cable from the car's battery negative terminal to the engine ground. If it starts then, it's probably a ground wire.

If I had to guess, though, I'd say the starter has a dead spot.

Last edited by MadMan; 03-17-2017 at 09:02 PM.
Audiokarma