View Single Post
Old 02-16-2024, 02:41 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
Average digital looks better than mediocre analog, premium analog looks better than average digital, and premium high resolution and bandwidth digital usually looks better than premium analog.... Trouble is most digital that most people consume is average at best... It's usually not given enough bandwidth to be free of artifacts.
Exactly. Just for kicks I recorded some digital video to VHS and then digitized it back, you can see the comparison in my YouTube video. Twenty years ago we had MPEG-2 HD@ 15-18 Mbit/s, now our OTA HD dropped to as low as 5 Mbit/s and even 3.5 Mbit/s, it is garbage. There are tons of SD subchannels @ 2 Mbit/s, they look horrible too. Still, when you compare VHS copy with digital you can see how the edges are much better defined in digital, color does not bleed over edges, and static scenes look almost perfect. The quality of digital depends on bitrate, and the more detail and motion you have the more bitrate you need. Analog is different here, you get more or less the same results no matter fast or slow scene, but it is a known fact that the Japanese MUSE had chroma interlacing, so fast scenes looked less pretty. This is why most MUSE demos use slow to medium pans and tilts, very careful, with stabilized camera.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARC Tech-109 View Post
I do have both Type-C and BetaSP and the best high-end monitor I can muster up is my Panasonic TAU series CT-34WX54 widescreen CRT so I'd like to invite you over for some popcorn to watch either some first generation BetaSP
BetaSP is SD. The fact that you mention first generation reminds everyone that analog loses quality with each generation. Yes, BetaSP holds much better than Umatic or VHS, but it loses quality nevertheless. Digital does not lose quality when it is copied without editing, this is what everyone likes it for. This is why torrents are so great

34 inches? You got to be kidding. My computer monitor is 27 inches, it is not a gaming monitor, and I sit one foot away. On the other hand, my VHS captures look great on my smartphone

CRT is great for motion. Plasma is comparable. My main TV is a 50-inch Panasonic plasma, I wish I bought the Kuro when I had a chance. Early LCD TVs were crap for motion because of the ON/OFF character of the elements and low refresh rate, this is why I bought plasma back in 2006. But LCD TVs went a long way, and their 480 Hz or even 600 Hz refresh rate is good enough to portray smooth motion.
Audiokarma