View Single Post
Old 12-10-2008, 07:49 PM
Ed Reitan

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_tv_nut View Post
The CBS system also benefitted from careful staging of every demo. I have a copy of a CBS technical memo describing problems with a bright red sweater, developing a cyan halo due to overexposure of the image orthicon. The solution was to substitute a darker sweater.
I also laughed at that solution. But I would think the CBS camera could have benefited from "Operating under the Knee", just as it was standard practice to reduce halos, and achieve linearity of the three primary signals with the later NTSC TK-41 cameras. The NTSC camera often suffered from poor balance between the IO's and the tubes were often hand selected to find three matching tubes. Reflections in the color splitting dichroics often led to "red shirt ghosts" image to the right of the gentleman's white shirt. This plus differential phase distortion with the NTSC signal, and camera and home receiver complexities of registration and adjustment, it is easy to say that the color reproduction of the CBS Color System was far superior. NTSC camers also benefited from careful staging and adjustment of the cameras.

Ask anyone who had seen demonstrations of the CBS Color System at the Early Television Foundation museum or any of the few monitors/receivers in the hands of collectors. The CBS system simply produced better color quality.

Ed Reitan
Audiokarma