View Single Post
Old 11-01-2015, 04:44 PM
Followin' the Rules...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
Even change that appears to be for the sake of change isn't always....In computer related dealings things get old fast....Un-patchable security holes are found, much more efficient ways of doing things are found, other platforms become so much more advanced that new products don't bother to support an old one, etc. Some of it can be seen customer/user side, but some of it can't.

It is sort of like an older fleet of taxis. If the interiors or bodywork are going to hell the customer will celebrate replacement, but if that was fine and instead the frames were rusting out and or the drive-trains were needing more work than the vehicles were worth then the customers may miss the old ones and complain of their replacement.
I just wonder if the VBulletin database had become too large - AK was the largest forum I've seen run with VBulletin. Most forums that large do use other software. I'm no expert, but when a SQL database gets huge, it can be slow, hard to backup, and even harder to add features/fields.

I'm mostly an Access fellow myself, having hacked an Access 2.0 database to add fields and queries - way back in 1993. Too bad it's losing favor...
"Capacitor Cosmetologist since '79"

When fuses go to work, they quit!