View Single Post
Old 11-28-2023, 07:46 PM
M is for Memory

If the shaft is too short I would find a another junk control of any kind with a long enough half round shaft rob the shaft off the junk control and either use a 1/4" shaft coupler (they make both straight and flexi kinds) to extend it. If both shafts happen to be a solderable metal (ie not aluminum) you could tin the ends with a 80W+ IRON (guns suck for this) and solder the 2 together...a thin sleeve may be helpful.

I had to do the solder cobble method recently for a 60s 13" color Japanese set Packard Bell imported and rebadged....The color/ on-off-vol pot was a concentric with weird shaft sizes and lengths and the inner and outer shafts had frozen together in a way that couldn't be fixed and made both controls fairly unusable. The inner was 1/4" round knurled with the slot and the outer was the giant size 50s-70s fine tuning knobs used. I found an electrically similar pot with smaller shafts in my stash and soldered extensions on to make it work and did a good enough job you would be hard pressed to tell without taking it apart.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4