View Single Post
Old 09-16-2009, 09:57 AM
<----Zenith C845

Zenith also had several excellent table radios in the '50s-'60s, but they were also AM/FM. These were the 800 series (C835, C/H/L845, etc). Eight-inch speaker, five-inch tweeter, true tone control, even terminals for an external speaker. These radios had an RF stage on both AM and FM (both sharing the same 6BJ6 tube) and worked well in most signal areas, using only the built-in antenna. Using any type of external antenna, the FM dial on one of these would probably be so loaded with stations it wouldn't be funny. I live in an area of northeastern Ohio near Cleveland, Erie, Pennsylvania and Youngstown, Ohio (I'm within a mile of Lake Erie as well), and my C845 regularly gets stations from all three of those cities as well as across the lake in southwestern Ontario, again just using the built-in antenna. (There are times during the summer and early fall when my radio dial is packed with stations.) I wouldn't be surprised if, in their heyday, these sets sold like hotcakes in far-suburban and fringe areas, miles away from big-city FM stations.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.

Last edited by Jeffhs; 09-16-2009 at 10:00 AM.
Audiokarma