View Single Post
Old 01-19-2005, 08:35 AM
AK Member

Yep, I still listen to AM. Lots of it in the car.

When I was a kid, at night, I would listen to AM, and keep track of all the stations I could receive.
Got the best reception a night as I recall, depending on atmospheric conditions.
Kept a running list of stations. I remember having a book listing all the AM stations in the US. Don't recall where I got it.

I built a one tube kit radio, and had a wire antenna strung from my window, over to the garage, and to another pole, so formed a big triangle. I could get stations all over the US, and could pick up Mexico. (I lived in Kansas at the time)

There was a powerful AM station in Chicago, that I could get pretty much all the time.

AM still is well followed. One of the highest rated to stations (AM or FM) in Omaha is a powerful (50,000 watts?) KFAB (AM) Been on air since the 30s I think.
Has talk shows, and about every other type of programmimg. Just well established as "the" leader.

It's the station you turn to for emergency info in case of tornado, has school closing info in snow storms, etc. Has the liscense for Nebraska football broadcasts, and NE basketball.

For music, there's no comparison to stereo FM. Even the oldies are better on FM.

Last edited by Shain; 01-20-2005 at 11:17 PM.