View Single Post
Old 02-19-2022, 06:21 PM
blast, blast...

Ed in Tx is ALL OVER this one. To both paraphrase him and add to what he said: You will need to find EVERY COMPONENT that is bad, or near-bad (read: resistors), before these power supplies will fully function and not take out most, if not ALL, of the components you've already replaced! Trust me! That's both on the "hot" side AND the secondary.

These pre-'86 Panasonic SMPS's were nothing but a nightmare for me as I was learning VCR repair in the late 80's. I got my ass kicked on several occasions. Fortunately, the senior tech (read: boss) was there to bail me out. Most of the time...

It wasn't until Panasonic's '85-'86 models where the power supply circuitry was finally 'trimmed down a bit' to my limited brain power before I would really start to get my wings on these. Then, in the late 80's I would develop a list of EVERYTHING that should be replaced before further diagnosing any ADDITIONAL problems.

Good luck, starbond, on your journey repairing this and ultimately playing back your tape collection!

Brian

Last edited by Blast; 02-19-2022 at 06:34 PM.