View Single Post
Old 05-24-2004, 12:12 AM
AK Member

My Latest Project

Over the weekend I became the proud owner of a Silvertone model 6230 radio, manufactured in July of 1939. What caught my eye was the J. Ingraham-designed cabinet, with its simple, elegant contours -- and this one is in pretty good shape. Also included are the original, conical wood knobs, with the “legends” (Volume, Tuning, Tone, etc.) engraved on them.

The tuner on the 6230 not only covers the standard AM broadcast band, but also the shortwave band from roughly 6 to 18 megacycles (Silvertone calls it “Foreign”). To aid the user in tuning stations, this radio also includes one of those marvelous “tuning eye” tubes, and five station preselect buttons!

I’ve been itching to get my hands on one of these older classics for some time, but the high prices have always kept me away. So, how did I manage to get my grubby mitts on this beautiful radio? Simple -- I got it at a “fire sale” price! This radio actually had a fire inside it at one time!

If you look in the second picture below, at the right side of the loudspeaker’s field coil, you can see a black discoloration. My guess is that a short occurred in the field coil, causing a small insulation fire, as well as corresponding damage to the output transformer, and various components and wiring beneath the chassis in the area of the ballast and rectifier tubes. The fire caused substantial charring of the inside of the cabinet as well, directly above where the loudspeaker is sitting. Also, there is a large area on the outside of the cabinet where the lacquer finish was damaged from the heat (visible in the first pic). Fortunately, the veneer itself does not seem to have been hurt.

Well, it looks like I’ve got my work cut out for me on this one. I’m considering calling in a more experienced restorer to deal with the barbecued electricals, but the balance of the restoration should be a lot of fun! I’ll be sure to keep you all updated on the progress.

Paula

Last edited by Paula; 07-03-2010 at 09:56 AM.